Since the client is made on the Monogame framework, will we be able to build for mobile and HTML5 once the source code is released?

Haath

Question

5 answers to this question

Mono Compatible

The Intersect client is powered by MonoGame. The server is mono compatible.

In the future you can look forward to the possibility to deploying your game across across many platforms including Mac, Linux, mobile devices and consoles.

You can host your game server in a Linux environment already. Cut the costs of hosting your game because you won't pay extra for Windows servers.

I would imagine it'd take some rewriting to get certain things to work (seeing how the client seems to be primarily written for Windows environments at the moment) but I'm not going to say it'd be impossible. Heck, I believe you could likely port it to Unity and make use of their cross-platform capabilities as well.

1 hour ago, Joyce said:

I would imagine it'd take some rewriting to get certain things to work (seeing how the client seems to be primarily written for Windows environments at the moment) but I'm not going to say it'd be impossible. Heck, I believe you could likely port it to Unity and make use of their cross-platform capabilities as well.

Well why you use a framework like Monogame in the first place is so you dont "write for windows" but you "write for monogame". Usually you can just use the exact same code but compile it differently for each platform. Why i'm asking the devs is because for example, this sort of thing would be difficult if they used  DirectX instead of OpenGL

Well, there's always optimizations and slight changes between platforms.. or just flatout things you can not do on certain platforms. Which is why I'm saying that it might need some work. :P Considering they're not using WinForms and (as far as I can tell) only cross-platform libraries it shouldn't be a big deal to get it to work.. Although I've also seen a few libraries that I can't quite put my finger on, they only seem to be used in the editor however.