Cliff autotile

Gibier

Question

9 answers to this question

In most 2D games cliffs don't have auto tiles as they are walls. Auto tiles are usually meant for "flat" surfaces like floors and ceilings, not vertical ones like walls. Anyhow if you want a cliff auto tile just take the image and edit it so its in auto tile format, will look into exactly how to do this as I haven't touched auto tiles in a while.

We're gonna need a rpg maker or mapping pro in here. I honestly don't know exactly how they work.

It is my understanding that you can only use them vertically or horizontally else they look bad. IMO it is easier to use standard tiles for cliffs.

There are so many possibilities to this post... please be more specific next time! Anyways, after rounding up every possible question here is:

Not enough control:

Any cliffs middle tile has to be selectable. Unlike most autotiles, the cliffs behaviour needs to be adjusted accurately, depending on the scene that's being created. So it's merely a limit of not being able to fine tune it with the middle

tiles after the autotiling has done its business. Middle tiles can be used to give the impression of connecting walls, this is important control to have once your cliffs start having multiple platforms - and can't be left upto a systems autotile.

Using the tool:

When using the cliff tool, simply make sure the vertical tiles are selected. Create the desired size of cliff in the game, then use the normal autotile feature for the tops of the cliff.

Using cliffs well:

I think his original question is more leaning on using cliffs in a nice looking way, and it's not easy to explain without creating an entire tutorial. I would suggest using youtube and google to thoroughly understand how to design maps using cliff tiles.

Thanks a lot for yours answers. I checked a little bit on youtube and google, but all the tutorial was for "how to create auto tile" and not for "how to use auto tile".

@jcsnider For the mapper pro we had already planning to find someone who can help us in the game development. If not i just have to change some tileset to add no auto tile cliff.

@WereAlpaca I will try what i was trying to explain. I think i had understood the base.

@Kibbelz I had no idea that this type of auto tile was bugged. I thought it was me.