What Is Auto Tiling?

gaveitatry

Question

9 answers to this question

I do a video to show the differance. I forgot to really show the mistake of no auto tiling. Yes those tileset are tileset from rpg maker converting in auto tile of rpg maker VX.

http://ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/b735bb8d15221e9be95cb8c607f6ff34.mp4

So auto tile do the animation automatically and will do the change for the interaction withe the other tile. Without auto tile you need to do all of it. Some the mapping is more long and havea few mistakes.

23 hours ago, Gibier said:

I do a video to show the differance. I forgot to really show the mistake of no auto tiling. Yes those tileset are tileset from rpg maker converting in auto tile of rpg maker VX.

http://ascensiongamedev.com/resources/filehost/b735bb8d15221e9be95cb8c607f6ff34.mp4

So auto tile do the animation automatically and will do the change for the interaction withe the other tile. Without auto tile you need to do all of it. Some the mapping is more long and havea few mistakes.

Look how he clicks in the top left of an autotile and the tile type combo box is set to Autotile

So, Auto-tiling is simply the computer doing tedious tiling for you. Now if you take a look at those sand-in-grass tiles you were using in that video, you can see that, normally, there would be no way to make a perfect square larger than 2x2 using those tiles on their own. What auto-tiling does is grab portions of each tile and stitch them together giving the appearance of a seamless portion of tiles on your map. Now, that first tile you selected in your video, the small "patch" of sand. Click that, and then in dropbox right above that in the editor, click and select Autotile. Then play around with the tiles on the map :D

16 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

Look how he clicks in the top left of an autotile and the tile type combo box is set to Autotile

Isn't that what I did in my video?  I think that you only watched the first half of my video.  I think that I did actual autotiling in the second half, but maybe I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, Kibbelz said:

in the 2nd part of your video you got it working.

Okay good.  I guess that my video is misleading.  I originally made the video to answer someone's question on the Bugs and Suggestion forum.  I wanted to demonstrate the difference between normal tiling and autotiling.  Sorry for the confusion.  I think that I get it now.