Untested [FREE] Temporary Experience Bonus! (v0.7)

boasfesta

Hello folks!

Its been a while since i don't release something new and update my new store on Itch Io, so i've decided to do both in a row (or almost).

Im trying to bring some simple systems for free that maybe can be useful for most of people. So since a lot of MMORPGs got consumable items for a temporary experience bonus and Intersect just got a fixed amount/percentage by default, here is my adaptation using spell effects for a experience buff. (Don't know if anyone did that before).

0ctilGr.png

Basically you can do 2 things with this system:

• Create a consumable item for a temporary experience bonus by using the spell type and "Quick Cast Spell" option.
  • Create a GM spell buff for reward players at in-game events.

The new effect is configurable by duration (as any spell effect) and % bonus by the "Scaling Amount" property.

AyLxL3e.png

Some screenshots

Spoiler

Hz8x0mv.png

V3tsE4R.png

Requirements

Intersect v0.7+

Content

Link to the shop: https://boasfesta.itch.io/experience-bonus-spell-effect

Feel free to give your price if you want. :)

Enjoy.

Any ideas about more simple generic systems that can be useful for the community? Just leave a comment.

Also, if you need systems for your project, add me on Discord: boasfesta#8721.

The idea is super interesting, something I'd like in my game too, but the way it's implemented I didn't like it at all,

This spell is looking like a combat spell that can deal damage, buffs, etc, and it doesn't seem viable when it comes to just giving exp bonuses.

If it's a combat spell, then the stat escalation has become totally useless since you can put damage too.

You should have created a new type of magic, like the dash or teleport type, and organized the editor to contain only scalling ammount, stat duration and run the buff as an effect somehow (after all, those who know how to program can do everything)

Adding a new effect and leaving it within the combat area makes all the elements very useless why anyone will not use, but would probably still have an effect if used.

Maybe it would even be better to avoid bugs also, who knows

It could still be single target, like teleport spells to use as gm buff like you said

Finally, one last tip, maybe be better to focus on plugins, as there will be few people who will continue to risk modifications to the source without having a fixed programmer to continue fixing them when they broke with new updates
Maybe it's better to sell, a simple dll with configurable json, any idiot like me could use it without crashing anything

And as I said, the idea is great, I would like to have it in my game, but I will never be able and I will not accept the risks

9 minutes ago, Weylon Santana said:

The idea is super interesting, something I'd like in my game too, but the way it's implemented I didn't like it at all,

This spell is looking like a combat spell that can deal damage, buffs, etc, and it doesn't seem viable when it comes to just giving exp bonuses.

If it's a combat spell, then the stat escalation has become totally useless since you can put damage too.

You should have created a new type of magic, like the dash or teleport type, and organized the editor to contain only scalling ammount, stat duration and run the buff as an effect somehow (after all, those who know how to program can do everything)

Adding a new effect and leaving it within the combat area makes all the elements very useless why anyone will not use, but would probably still have an effect if used.

Maybe it would even be better to avoid bugs also, who knows

It could still be single target, like teleport spells to use as gm buff like you said

Finally, one last tip, maybe be better to focus on plugins, as there will be few people who will continue to risk modifications to the source without having a fixed programmer to continue fixing them when they broke with new updates
Maybe it's better to sell, a simple dll with configurable json, any idiot like me could use it without crashing anything

And as I said, the idea is great, I would like to have it in my game, but I will never be able and I will not accept the risks

You're absolutely right in everything you wrote hahah
The system is a quite simple so i just modified the less code i can to avoid merge conflicts and possible problems (as you said)

So when i use another existing elements for that there is a break of context, as you noticed with combat spells to buff exp, what does not make sense at all.

Looking at it now, maybe i could just add a new spell type and reuse the existing editor properties instead of use the combat spell. But well... it works anyway hahahah

About the plugins, most of people are using it? I heard it only works on the latest latest latest latest prerelease version. It works on server/client and i can add new spell types for example? I'm excited to make some plugins.

Thanks for your reply and analysis :)

It wouldn't work for new types of magic, but it works for a lot of things, plugins works in the pre-release or development version, the pre-release version is what everyone uses. Joice and panda should be expanding even more like this here: https://github.com/AscensionGameDev/Intersect-Engine/pull/924 , a good user explained a lot about how to write plugins, you who should be a programmer will understand the context very well. People have been using the plugins that joyce made(1, 2) for example, so if you intend to sell something in the future, that would be my recommendation, or my focus if i were a professional programmer, because that way, anyone can use it, without modifying the source.

Thanks for the info @Cheshire!. I think @Weylon Santana is right about give preference to plugins, but in case of limitations (such as editors), we still need to use patches.

Anyway, i tried to make this system simpler as i could to reduce the merge conflicts and bug chances, so no one should have problems with it.

Probably i'll bring client~side systems as plugins in the future.

@nvh i guess that Intersect always reset players effects after a log out by default, so the same should happen with the EXP Bonus. Probably its not an simple modification since it requires database migration. :/

6 hours ago, boasfesta said:

Thanks for the info @Cheshire!. I think @Weylon Santana is right about give preference to plugins, but in case of limitations (such as editors), we still need to use patches.

Anyway, i tried to make this system simpler as i could to reduce the merge conflicts and bug chances, so no one should have problems with it.

Probably i'll bring client~side systems as plugins in the future.

@nvh i guess that Intersect always reset players effects after a log out by default, so the same should happen with the EXP Bonus. Probably its not an simple modification since it requires database migration. :/

I don't need to migrate the database
I created a new stat named Exp.  use Statsgiven[].  accumulate it in Expmultiper() in player.cs

In player.cs there is a method to add exp named expmultiper...()

14 hours ago, nvh said:

I don't need to migrate the database
I created a new stat named Exp.  use Statsgiven[].  accumulate it in Expmultiper() in player.cs

In player.cs there is a method to add exp named expmultiper...()

Ah sure! That is a good way too.
I thought to make the system that way but it probably would result on more merge conflicts in my case, since it would need changes on the editor.designer.cs.
But congrats! Probably i would do it that way in my game :)