Area effect skills on the map.

Blinkuz

Question

I will be around this section of the forum a lot asking some questions more silly than others, in my project I have a great variety of skills and one of them I have not been able to create in the days that I have experimenting with the engine, the skill is a puddle of water which should appear below the player and stay on the map for several seconds, I have made the animation in the layer below the player and I tried with AOE and TRAP but the TRAP is not visual and the AOE appears below my player but if I move too the animation moves.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's something simple / complicated to do, I have no problem modifying the source if necessary, but I don't think I should do it for that, any recommendation is accepted.

Edited by Blinkuz

8 answers to this question

I have decided to change the source to achieve the effect I wanted, I was evaluating that it was easier for me to use the logic of the projectile with a very high speed so that it gives the impression that it is still but that it does damage in area, this new field It is hit radius and the logic would be to condition the projectiles that have this field greater than 1 and detect collisions, and everything else is using the default code of the skills with continuous damage etc.

Although I need to change the collision range of the projectiles, I still plan to add an animation to the cheat skills, I'm still not sure how to handle the issue of adding a new animation field to the MapTrapInstance.cs since it is not an entity like such but I think adding it as a spell property and some conditions can achieve it.

a41efdfc8d900fe9fea94d53a9db1abb.png

I have already encountered this same problem in a slightly old engine called Byond, what I had to do was spawm an object on the map with the shape and animation of the skill then it detected the Bump to apply the damage but not I know if this is possible without having to touch the source code.

I have managed to create the effect of being on the map statically and the animation runs quite well, I just had to create a projectile with the animation and in the speed add about 10,000ms so that the animation time to run, but now I have the problem that the collision is only detected in a small area of the entire effect, someone can tell me if it is possible to modify the collision area even in the source code since I have not found it.

d7723dd0b0163e46534a2f405c8fb2de.jpeg

4 hours ago, Cheshire said:

Projectiles only really hit the tiles they occupy. So unless you make it occupy more tiles there's currently no real way to make the hit radius larger.

It is just what I wanted to make the projectiles occupy more spaces or at least condition some, I have no problem trying to modify the source code but I still do not adapt to all the scripts to locate the files of each thing, check in the projectile .cs from the client and the server and both have the function of verifying the collision but I don't know if it is the right place to do it as a hybrid between an AOE skill and the projectile.

2 hours ago, Beast Boyz said:

You can already do hit radius with the "collision spell". It launch the spell you want.

Yes, but the hit radius of the collision spell will only be executed when there is a collision with your main projectile, which in my case is not a projectile but a rather large pool of water, what the new hit radius in the projectile does is detect the collision in the area of the first projectile and could even execute the collision spell from an even greater range.

d7723dd0b0163e46534a2f405c8fb2de.jpeg