Conditional Checks: Server Restarted, Is in Party [REQUEST]

Push

Question

Being the engine is built for Multiplayer;

1a) a conditional branch check for 'is Player in Party' (with the player who activated the event) would be a huge benefit to the event system.

1b) Or being able to add a tag when someone joins/leaves a party in order to check if they are part of the party.

currently the engine has no multiplayer check functions.

When the server stops/goes down and is restarted: the events process stop, which breaks the events.

2a) Allowing the server to continue the events after it is restarted.

2b) Or adding a 'ServerRestarted' Trigger would help with this issue.

7 answers to this question

Just knowing if the server restarted isn't enough. The player can always log out during events. Events should be designed so that they always assume they are unran will run again upon server reboot or relog and only upon completion give any rewards and set any switches marking them as complete. 

22 hours ago, jcsnider said:

Just knowing if the server restarted isn't enough. The player can always log out during events. Events should be designed so that they always assume they are unran will run again upon server reboot or relog and only upon completion give any rewards and set any switches marking them as complete. 

Gotcha.

How about the inPlayersParty check?

At this time events are not really 'aware' of other players. A check to see if a player is in a party wouldn't be hard.. but checking to see if a player is in a party with another individual player? I don't know how we'd go about designing that... You can make a request on the tracker if you'd like to open up official discussion.

4 hours ago, jcsnider said:

At this time events are not really 'aware' of other players. A check to see if a player is in a party wouldn't be hard.. but checking to see if a player is in a party with another individual player? I don't know how we'd go about designing that... You can make a request on the tracker if you'd like to open up official discussion.

if I recall there is a party sync function for player variable set.

without looking at the code I would assume something like that function could be used more liberally, for instance warp player. 

On 6/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, jcsnider said:

Back in the day, with Neverwinter Nights' Aurora engine, for the duration of a game session, we would assign a 5 digit random number to a player who is about to do something which is not provided by the engine, and afterwards to anyone who joins this party. The server has to check whether they are assigned the same number - voilá! This can probably easily be coded into Intersect, but:

@CosakiGames I understand that we all are impatiently waiting for further improvements to editor and engine... and yet, this is still beta 0.6. Since 2018 when I first dabbled with Intersect there has been huge progress to performance, stability and overall features. When Intersect becomes a stable 1.0, I will start trying to code all the little things I would want in my game. :91_thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Uranochos said:

Back in the day, with Neverwinter Nights' Aurora engine, for the duration of a game session, we would assign a 5 digit random number to a player who is about to do something which is not provided by the engine, and afterwards to anyone who joins this party. The server has to check whether they are assigned the same number - voilá! This can probably easily be coded into Intersect, but:

@CosakiGames I understand that we all are impatiently waiting for further improvements to editor and engine... and yet, this is still beta 0.6. Since 2018 when I first dabbled with Intersect there has been huge progress to performance, stability and overall features. When Intersect becomes a stable 1.0, I will start trying to code all the little things I would want in my game. :91_thumbsup:

Yes, I have used this engine for a few years now and it's had huge improvements (which has led me to become more serious about using it to develop.)
This was just my suggestion as it seems to effect a lot of people.