Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Professional

How to make Japanese Curry

Recommended Posts

Welcome to cooking with Mighty Professional, smash that like, suscribe or whatever youtubers ask for. Today we are making japanese curry.

 

What your gonna need:
1 Onion, yellow.
3 Carrots, or 2, whatever.
1 apple, I chose green.
Some potatoes, maybe like 2? You do you.
1 Clove garlic - Not that premixed shit
Protien - Tofu, meat, whatever
S&B Curry Powder - 6 TBPS
Chicken stock, 2.1 litres. home made or from the store. Get low sodium if possible or this shit gonna be salty.
Oil - Infused with garlic and ginger if you got it, olive if your some kind of animal.
Gluten free flour - 12 TBPS - I used casava.
Salt, pepper
All the other ingrediants I forgot.

 

Makes: A metric shit ton.

 

1. Cut up all your shit, dice them onions. Chunk dem carrots and potatoes. Dice the apples. Size doesnt really matter.
2. Throw the onions in the pan with some oil, and some salt. The salt will draw the water out and help them cook. Dont oversalt, your chicken stock is probably already salty as fuck.
3. Throw you curry powder in with the onions and oil. Cook that shit till soft.
4. Take the onion mix out, clean the pot with some paper towel, doesnt need to be perfect just get it dry.
5. Take your protien and make sure its dry, dry it off with some paper towel if you have to.
6. More oil in now empty pan, sear that meat. This will seal in the flavor. When meat is seared throw in 12 tbps of the flour mix it all up.
7. The flour and meat and oil should form a paste. If not more oil. Should be equal parts fat and flour. This is a roux now, cook for like 5-10 mins to get flour taste out.
8. Pour chicken stock in, add all your veg, onions. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. This will thicken in the process. Stir occassionaly. Can add more water if it reduces to much.
    - Season to taste
9. Make some rice, pour curry on. Eat. If you wanna spice it up chop up some dried chilis and sprinkle that shit on top.
10. Do all the steps I forgot.
11. Post in instagram, with heavy filter usage. I said this curry is good, not nice to look at. In fact I never even said it was good, you assumed and thats on you.


Pictures of the steps, hopefully in the right order.

 

3nLyLeW.jpg

XW67JyL.jpg

Rl1QlgD.jpg

oyBeS6z.jpg

aMNTCad.jpg

LtMsGuX.jpg

Yq1F2PK.jpg

MacxuCv.jpg

b8U1OR3.jpg

CIuO4DK.jpg

tAPlxmR.jpg

YNLeqrC.jpg

k8UoZVH.jpg

nUAaGmY.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have rice right now, is there a way I can do it without? And I see you chose green apple, is there a reason you did so? Because I personally prefer red one. Plus I also feel like your images are not big enough you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shenmue said:

I don't have rice right now, is there a way I can do it without? And I see you chose green apple, is there a reason you did so? Because I personally prefer red one. Plus I also feel like your images are not big enough you know.

 

Yea you dont need rice, can be just have it alone. The rice is nice to soak up some curry but not needed. I just had a green apple lying around. Could use red. I feel like the green stay a bit crispier though. Not sure if the red would turn to mush. Maybe just add it in at the very end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mighty Professional said:

 

Yea you dont need rice, can be just have it alone. The rice is nice to soak up some curry but not needed. I just had a green apple lying around. Could use red. I feel like the green stay a bit crispier though. Not sure if the red would turn to mush. Maybe just add it in at the very end. 

OK but can we talk about the peppers? Because I don't have that many at home, it looks insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shenmue said:

OK but can we talk about the peppers? Because I don't have that many at home, it looks insane.

 

I only cut up a couple, without it its pretty mild. I only have some because I picked them at a farm and dried them. You dont need peppers. If you want to spice it up a bit you can add like 5-10 fresh ones. Or just sprinkle some on top. It doesnt need to be hot if you dont want it to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mighty Professional said:

 

I only cut up a couple, without it its pretty mild. I only have some because I picked them at a farm and dried them. You dont need peppers. If you want to spice it up a bit you can add like 5-10 fresh ones. Or just sprinkle some on top. It doesnt need to be hot if you dont want it to be. 

Well I prefer when things are hot.

What about the pictures then? Because there are no step numbers for each and it's hard to know which one represents which step. Could you do your job clean please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally you de-seed the peppers, and if dried you would re-hydrate them in the cooking liquid or blend with liquid to make a sauce. Also That beef looks like it needs to be stewed for a while to make fall apart tender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Niko said:

Generally you de-seed the peppers, and if dried you would re-hydrate them in the cooking liquid or blend with liquid to make a sauce. Also That beef looks like it needs to be stewed for a while to make fall apart tender.

I would have said the same. Looks like this tutorial need a V2 from real cooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shenmue said:

I would have said the same. Looks like this tutorial need a V2 from real cooks.

 

oof, you only deseed the peppers if you want to make it less spicy. And yea you can rehydrate for sure but I just wanted some sprinkled on top. The smaller pieces of the beef were tender. But I should have cut up the bigger ones a bit more for sure.

 

Im sorry my free tutorial was not up to your standards :'(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Niko said:

Just throwing my two sense in.

 

You for sure made some good points. That is the correct way to do things. The apples could probably go in at a later stage to. Some had a bit of bite but a lot were to mushy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use purple yams or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, makes a slightly sweeter taste.

I boil the yams, carrots, shitake mushrooms, and bruselle sprouts - grill chopped beef stew cubes on the side in butter, add butter + beef juices to the pot - add curry cubes (whole box) because i like thicker curry. Then add the beef after heat is off to not overcook, top with sliced negi and serve on Japanese rice.

For spice I add chili flakes and black pepper to the boil.

 

The yams or potatoes will be mostly melted (making the thinker curry) so I cut them into larger pieces to have some chunks to bite into.

 

Didn't know so many game devs like Japanese curry XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CosakiGames said:

I use purple yams or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, makes a slightly sweeter taste.

I boil the yams, carrots, shitake mushrooms, and bruselle sprouts - grill chopped beef stew cubes on the side in butter, add butter + beef juices to the pot - add curry cubes (whole box) because i like thicker curry. Then add the beef after heat is off to not overcook, top with sliced negi and serve on Japanese rice.

For spice I add chili flakes and black pepper to the boil.

 

The yams or potatoes will be mostly melted (making the thinker curry) so I cut them into larger pieces to have some chunks to bite into.

 

Didn't know so many game devs like Japanese curry XD

 

That sounds amazing, im kind of a newb at japanese curry. I just bought the powder and liked it. I first had it in japan and fell in love with it. I never saw mushrooms in it but it sounds good. I have some nice shitakes and stuff dried.

 

I will have to try your version one day, that sounds next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beefy Kasplant said:

Don't throw cents or any money in. The copper and metals are not healthy, plus, most money is quite dirty. 

Sometimes money does add more value to your curry you know. Maybe cents are not the right one, but have you tried with a $100 bill?

 

5 hours ago, CosakiGames said:

I use purple yams or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, makes a slightly sweeter taste.

I don't get it. Why adding a slightly sweeter taste when the feel of Japan is everything needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 6:37 PM, Shenmue said:

Sometimes money does add more value to your curry you know. Maybe cents are not the right one, but have you tried with a $100 bill?

 

I don't get it. Why adding a slightly sweeter taste when the feel of Japan is everything needed?

Ask my Japanese wife, she will tell you  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, Mighty Professional said:

 

That sounds amazing, im kind of a newb at japanese curry. I just bought the powder and liked it. I first had it in japan and fell in love with it. I never saw mushrooms in it but it sounds good. I have some nice shitakes and stuff dried.

 

I will have to try your version one day, that sounds next level.

There are actually a ton of different kinds of Japanese curry. The classic is Onion, Potato, Carrot, and Beef. There are mushroom and vegetable curries, katsu curries, curry udon, and curry rice, etc.
I always use the Japanese brand curry mixes 'Golden Curry' brand is my favorite. Never felt like making it from scratch.

 

Main difference in mine is the  batata root/sweet potato, nappa cabbage/brussel sprouts - and that I like it very thick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...