VR Mode - Cardboard Viewer

Project Name - Intersect VR

Difficulty - HARD

Hello. I have recently stumbled onto a new question that has got me thinking - Virtual Reality support. Obviously, the first thing to think about is what headset we are going to use. As most people have cardboard (Google Cardboard) headsets and they are easy to make, we are going to be customising our VR intersect for this purpose.

So. First things first. I have tried this with RPG Maker XP before and it has been relitavely successful..

1) Start the Intersect Server and open up the Editor. Create a new map. Cover it with grass using the fill button on the ground layer to simplify things.

2) You are going to want a line to show in the middle of the screen. The way to do this is to use an event. Go into your common events and make a new one. Set the trigger to "autorun." Now, make a new command. It should be "show options" and text: "Would you like to use VR?" and options: "yes" and "no". Under "no", you needn't put anything. Under "yes", you should put a command that shows this line. This line should be VERTICAL AND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN.

3) Mirroring the screen: we are going to want what happens on one side to happen not just on one but on both sides, without lag as difference on the sides will cause extreme nausea for the user, which we definitely don't want. Ok, so how do we do that, you ask? Well, it's quite easy really. Everything is only going to exist on one side of the line and everything on the other is not quite real. For starters, we will want our player to spawn on the left hand side of the screen. Edit this in classes. Now, make an event on the other side of the line. Set it to the same sprite as the hero, hide the name tag and set it to autorun. Now, in commands, place a conditional branch. Using this, we can detect if the player has moved in any direction and with move routes move the event accordingly; if the player moves left once and down twice, the event will move left once and down twice, at the same time. But what about the surroundings? We don't just want a flat grass landscape, do we?!

4) Yes, we are NOT going to use tilesets AT ALL. ONLY when we are setting the ground, for instance a mud path, grass or a rock path. For everything different to this we are going to use events. Now, events are harder because they don't move with the player, they just stand there. This is going to cause problems if the player does a certain amount of horizontal movement, because the event will go to the other side... For this reason, we must use walls of events. We can copy and paste one into a whole line. Say we have a flower on the ground. The player moves left... And left... And left. Finally, they are one away from the flower moving into the right side and breaking the VR experience! Oh noes! But then as the gallant player moves left once more, he triggers one event in the wall of events that makes the flower disappear. Each event is set to on player touch / on event touch, can't remember which it is LOL! It teleports you one block left so you can't glitch the system by moving just up to it. The event is set to collide OFF by the way. Then you can make it show the flower when you move right, because there is a conditional branch detecting whether the player is facing left or right when moving into the event.

5) You now have a VR game but no headset. Firstly, you are gonna have to either buy or make yourself a Google Cardboard style headset. Now you have two options. You can either find a way with Remote Desktop to stream the PC to the phone and play, or you can use the phone's camera app and point it exactly at the PC and play, and both require you to sit at the PC using the keyboard and mouse.

Conclusion: This way, you could make a simple VR game. Horrible system, disgusting to use, awful way of doing it, and limits the landscape terribly. But it is Virtual Reality. No one's ever done this before. That's all that matters.

Aren't there VR apps that give you extra desktop space? Just move Intersect onto one of those virtual displays and boom you got your VR.

Though I'm not sure why you'd want VR for a 2D game, all it gets you is added neck strain from the weight of the headset.

But 3D involves a depth component that the engine simply does not have.

Per your description, you're not making 3D, you're duplicating the display for each eye.

It would be easier to just use a virtual desktop like I mentioned which will duplicate the display for you rather than making your maps and corresponding events support VR natively (which would mess them up for a normal display).

What if you just run instersect in vr desktop. I have a vive but i have never used vr desktop, nor looked into its capabilities, but i think it displays your desktop in vr space if i'm not mistaken. As for cardboard box... if you are going to go vr do it right!

18 minutes ago, Gwendalin said:

What if you just run instersect in vr desktop. I have a vive but i have never used vr desktop, nor looked into its capabilities, but i think it displays your desktop in vr space if i'm not mistaken. As for cardboard box... if you are going to go vr do it right!

VR desktop is what I suggested using, just couldn't remember the name.