Character customization

Raza

1. Explanation

So, i saw a question about how to change the character's hair in game, and it's possible but not really like you can think. I made it in my game so i would like to share it here for this dude and for everyone else who need it.

How it is working ?

Very simple. The player will be able to go in a barber shop to choose a new hair cut, and this hair cut will cost a certain price.

But how is it working in the back stage ? Simple, the sprite of the character will change with a new hair cut. Let's jump into it.

2. Sprites

Spoiler
  • First of all, you will need to have some character sprites that looks the same but with different haircuts. Here are mine forn the exemple :

a3e5da2e8d1aa118e97be9f6a2593838.png

1ccadf65449ec694a6824173acc77edc.png

• As you can see, they have the same body but not the same hair. Now, let's jump into the real system.

3. Place

Spoiler
  • You will now need to create a place where your players are gonna be able to cut their hair.
  • In my game, i made a little barber shop in the town like this :

ef943185c7eea148abcb899a21f7f9b5.jpg

4. Common Event

Spoiler
  • Now, go to the event window and create an event with the name you want, i've called mine with the name of the barber shop. 

c77853acd247bdfe2181fac6a677c7e5.jpg

• Inside of the event, create an option dialogue where te player can choose between your different haircuts. I added the indication of the price between parentheses.

0ede51d89d5116db87a687b68deb8968.png

• Right after all the different choices, select ''change items'', choose your currency and put the price you want in the amount option.

70e21db691b3d142fbc504213190bfee.png

• Then, if the player doesn't have enough money, you will need to tell him. So add a little text box after ''item(s) not giver/taken (doesn't have/inventory full)'' :

8d79bda4621838ecca1c2646e8a18350.png

• Now, let's do the most important thing, changing the haircut.
  • If the player has the money required, select the option ''change sprite'' and choose the sprite that correspond with the haircut that the player has choosed.

be645b0ff60613572a69bc7600d4c636.png

• Then, your event should looks like this :

81502343c73adffeefb928614c55423f.png

• Then, you've done the biggest part, congrats ! Now, just close the event window, and move back into the place where the player can change his haircut.

5. hairdresser

Spoiler
  • Here, we are in the barber shop of my town, just add an event, and this event will be the hairdresser (in my exemple).

2de142e39a7727bbb95fe3748a4b695d.jpg

• Then, in the event, add an option window, where you can choose between changing your haircut or leaving.

11a50d136ba85f28631e4b555da9ab81.png

• If the player choose nothing, he will just leave the discution, but if he choose ''new haircut''', then you just have to run the event that we made, simple has that !

ec42cfa09f8e7633f8cd7e461996a771.png

• Your event should look like this :

43435e89c484ccbba020f6e3a5136f73.png

6. Informations

And thats it ! You can now dynamically change your haircut when playing !

I'm sorry if my english isn't right, that's not my native language !

You can of course add as much as haircuts you want, just repeat the tutorial for every single one of them !

If you have questions, i will take the time to respond, and down there, there is some few adds that i've done and you can do if you want :

1. you can add a scissors sound after the option text where te player can choose his haircut.
  2.  You can do 2 different barbershops, one for men and one for women. Just add an option when you start talking with the  hairdresser who checks if your gender is male or female
  3.  You can teleport the player on a chair when the cissors sound starts to play to add a little bit of life, and teleport him back in the room after like 5 seconds. (using the  warp system, and the hold and release player option)

6 hours ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Cool way of doing it.

Now that Intersect has the ability to show images via events you could have an image showing the different hair styles you can change too :)

great idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

I always hated sprites, because now what if you want different armor, but same haircut?  it gets exponential when you can't have the head graphic be separate.   Or if you want a separate helmet graphic, then you need even more sprites.

I'm almost wondering if you can add graphic effect to item, and just have a floating helmet graphic on the character depending on which way he is facing.

1 hour ago, asccurious said:

I always hated sprites, because now what if you want different armor, but same haircut?  it gets exponential when you can't have the head graphic be separate.   Or if you want a separate helmet graphic, then you need even more sprites.

I'm almost wondering if you can add graphic effect to item, and just have a floating helmet graphic on the character depending on which way he is facing.

You can, it's called a paperdoll ;)