Black screen when launching a game

JonBaxter

Question

I am unsure if this is a problem caused by shoddy hosting or if it's a legitimate bug being caused by the new intersect version (5.1) since this wasn't happening before, so I was instructed to post this here instead of Bugs & Suggestions.

Every time one of my game's players tries to join my game they are stuck in a black screen for several minutes at a time before the game is displayed properly. At first I thought it was caused because I forgot to upload a mapcache.db file along with my game's test builds, however after linking the cache file the players would still always pick a character and go to a black screen for several minutes.

While this seems like an obvious loading problem caused by a large map size this was not being reported by anyone before the engine was updated to version 5.1 and the large map was not altered between either. is this a bug or just a problem caused by slow internet on the host's end?

7 answers to this question

Warning! .Net Framework 4.6.1+ is required to run this version of Intersect.  If you have trouble running the engine please try updating your .Net Framework version. (Or Mono if you're on Mac/Linux!)

Message added by jcsnider

The game actually loads just fine for them after a while, but I'll ask them to update .Net and see what happens

EDIT: I have confirmed that this indeed not being caused by an outdated .net framework. what could be the cause then?

3 hours ago, Dashplant said:

Do you have huge maps full of resources and events?

My overworld always takes a bit longer to load because of that, but it takes like 15 seconds max. 

I do have excellent internet though.

The maps are not big with 2-3 Events per Map and 1-2 Ressources. There are 73 Maps for the overworld.

bump. seems like almost all maps bigger than 4x4 take a long while to load for my players, but not me (the host), and everyone connected has .NET framework up to date. has nothing really been changed since beta 4? this didn't happen before at all in much bigger maps