Marriage?

Garlic

Question

9 answers to this question

7 hours ago, SkywardRiver said:

It will be easily possible with Intersect when the source releases. It's really down to if you want to wait that long or not.

I'm comfortable with that

4 hours ago, Kasplant said:

How do you want the marriage system to work? 

Speak to NPC to Register & Get Rings, Register with whoever is the designated NPC that does the marriage, have it cast a server announcement that tells everyone <x and x are getting married in 5 minutes>, require you to each wear a certain outfit, yadeyadeyada.

22 minutes ago, Mercy said:

I'm comfortable with that

Speak to NPC to Register & Get Rings, Register with whoever is the designated NPC that does the marriage, have it cast a server announcement that tells everyone <x and x are getting married in 5 minutes>, require you to each wear a certain outfit, yadeyadeyada.

But two players getting married? Because all that with an NPC is possible with events. 

This might be a good place to mention that using events in place of actual code is not only liable to make your project prone to issues, it's also just bad game design. I saw someone had made a Mount System earlier via events, and while I praise the creativity, the hoops they had to jump through (such as literally sacrificing the ability to choose a sex) makes it not worth it in the slightest. While creating your own Housing System with events is great, it's far more prone to issue than simply programming one. The message to take away from this? Don't use events when a programmed system can do it more efficiently and far easier.

59 minutes ago, SkywardRiver said:

This might be a good place to mention that using events in place of actual code is not only liable to make your project prone to issues, it's also just bad game design. I saw someone had made a Mount System earlier via events, and while I praise the creativity, the hoops they had to jump through (such as literally sacrificing the ability to choose a sex) makes it not worth it in the slightest. While creating your own Housing System with events is great, it's far more prone to issue than simply programming one. The message to take away from this? Don't use events when a programmed system can do it more efficiently and far easier.

Actually you can use classes as sex instead of the current sex and, as the paperdoll's system works, it's solution is pretty good.

9 minutes ago, Khaikaa said:

Actually you can use classes as sex instead of the current sex and, as the paperdoll's system works, it's solution is pretty good.

This just further proves my point. Now you have to jump through hoops for jumping through hoops. Anyone who uses systems like this in an actual released game with an engine deemed "open source" is setting themselves up for failure. Yes, I understand the majority of people using Intersect will simply be using it as a hobby. But for those looking to learn some good principles of game design while doing this should at least be made aware of the proper way to do things. Again, I admire the creativity behind these systems, but from a business standpoint and a game design standpoint, it's simply bad practice.