Adding "Intersect Server.exe" to Antivirus and Windows Defender

StalysRex

Hello all,

I just wanted to make a small guide on how to get New and Future Intersect releases (this also allows connection for the editor) to work, if you have Antivirus software, and Windows Defender Firewall.

1. First we run the "intersect server.exe" to ensure that we can't connect publicly.

image.thumb.png.bd63da8682f0c54379b8b55a8d568f17.png

2. The first thing we do is make sure our Antivirus has an exclusion for the folder, or file, so that it can listen for connections.

I am using Avast, but the concept should be the same for any other Antivirus software. We will start by going to settings, it usually appears as a gear icon. See below.

image.thumb.png.8cd90b6ee3978a84e06eeadc4d2a0598.png

3. Then we continue to our exclusions setting by scrolling down and clicking "Exclusions", please see below.

image.thumb.png.65495e65f082f5a4a7f469f19d21a227.png

4. Once in our "Exclusions" settings, you should see an area that looks like this. Click on "File Path" (Avast), see below please.

image.png.6e413c27155ea97b3d1f2323e231c10e.png

5. A smaller window will pop up, if you are using Avast at which time, you can make your "File Path" selection. See picture below.

image.png.26cca837d9fbb6931ddf83cbba1e854a.png

6. After we click "OK" on the "File Path" selector, we will want to verify the correct path has been selected and then finally click "Add", to add the exclusion.

image.png.c454b4fba9de6650bbccef505ca49d3b.png

7. Once the exclusion is added we can click "Ok", and close Avast, or any other software you are using. Usually this is all you will have to do, but if you are running Windows 10 (Only OS tested so far), and Windows Defender there are a few more steps you must complete. If you don't you might still see this message even though you made an exclusion in your Antivirus software.

image.thumb.png.bd63da8682f0c54379b8b55a8d568f17.png

8. To add the "Intersect server.exe" to the Windows Defender network connection exception, open your "Tray" icon ^, it might appear as <<< on other systems. 1). Right click on the Windows Defender icon. 2). Click "open". 3). See below.

image.png.0ecb109f2e575a2c0ddfbceecadcc120.png

9. After Windows Defender opens you will see the "Firewall & network protection" icon to the left, click it.

You should then see an option called, "Allow an app through firewall" appear at the bottom. We will then click this to open our Firewall settings.

image.png.4c7fae1599448566fee745fc1bc3f38e.png

10. Once you have clicked "Allow an app through firewall", another window will open to reveal all apps ran on your machine. You will then scroll down to "i" for "Intersect server.exe". We will then ensure each box needed, for each app instance is checked off.

image.png.8f3e57f25fbc560507ec01d5dfd02137.png

11. Before we check mark the instances of "Intersect server.exe" though, we want to make sure it is the current "Intersect server.exe" we are using.

You will highlight one of the instances, and then click "Details" to reveal the path of the instance. Verify it is correct, and click cancel. You may also change the type of connection "Intersect server.exe" should use, in case you clicked the wrong one on first start (EX: Public to Private, and vice versa). I suggest Private if you are at home.

image.png.4fe3985a77f6481a14aa28b05c839c14.png

12. Once all paths are verified, and you are happy with the instance connection type click, "Change settings". This will allow you to check mark the instances of "Intersect server.exe", so Windows Defender knows they are allowed. After all instances needed are check marked, we then click "OK".

image.png.345a627c92000e394bf98eb1e5cd57fc.png

13. After doing all the previous steps correctly, you should be able to finally run "Intersect server.exe", and receive the following output.

image.png.ec926aad33f8d02433dd065e2eba7679.png

14. Happy creating!

I apologize, you may have to do a bit of research if you are not using the same Antivirus software, or Operating System.

• 3 weeks later...

I think something is wrong ... as I have to add to anti virus as it is linux .... Photo taken only by putty, how I start the same message on servie ... I connect to the server via public ip. although under the server I can connect, this message is strange for me

bandicam 2017-12-10 23-39-12-996.jpg

• 1 month later...

is it weird that i get the error message but people connect "no problem" (lots of lag usually on a 4mb memory i3 3.3ghz with a 960 4gb gtx in it {does that make a difference in server performance?} with 12-16mbps upload and 100-190s download....

but sometimes my clock stops ticking and my server crashes and rolls back a lot?

• 1 month later...

All steps are done, new exclusion for avast, and a brand new permission for W7 firewall, as this tut. Even added a rule for intersect's port in W7 firewall's advanced option's. 
But the server isn't accessible from the outer world.

Anyone got a clue ? Thanks ! 

Generally when UPNP succeeds and it's still not working that means you have multiple firewalls outside of your computer.

For example, some homes have a router with a firewall and a modem with the firewall. The server is smart enough to tell the closest one to port forward, but it isn't smart enough to juggle through multiple layers. 

My next steps for you would be to get into the configuration page of your router, make sure ports are forwarded, and see if it has your public ip. If not then you'll need to look at your routers gateway and repeat. (Port forward, see if it has the public ip)