Map Size

Veruse

Question

13 answers to this question

Changing the number of tiles in the map is not something we support. The engine is designed to work with the 26x32 dimensions. Use it at your own peril.

Also there's literally a pinned answered question about this had you looked: 

13 minutes ago, Veruse said:

I deleted all of the maps and I set the size to 64 (still to small for my liking)

But I still get the error of the map size being too big.

also the problem is the tilesets are to big, the png images, try cut them out

it worked for me

Just now, Damian666 said:

you should not change it, its not really tested that much so.

but its your call...

i have changed and no errors, works soooo good, the only thing to take care is the png images are no too long. else it will do advices and sometimes dont work. but is for the resources not engine

1 minute ago, pandacoder said:

I'm seeing two separate trains of thought here...

@Veruse, are you referring to trying to change the tile size from 32x32, or the number of tiles on the map (which is something along the lines of 26x32 right now)?

oh i didnt get it after... now i see, he is talking about map size, not tileset size..., i changed it too but to lower number and works ok. but to bigger i dunno... Sorry for talk after thinking

2 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

whatever it is, its still more memory, which could be a bad thing

It would only impact VRAM consumption, not RAM, given that the tileset is already loaded into memory. Any computer capable of running the engine likely has sufficient VRAM to support caching maps renders with 64x64 tiles. Changing map dimensions however will impact both, and would result in a backwards incompatibility with maps already made.

Like I said, a computer capable of running the engine should be. Most potatoes do not even work with the engine because they're too old. Cards capable of supporting the engine should have at least 512MB of VRAM (2008 models and later, which is when the minimum OpenGL spec that the engine requires was released). No map should be utilizing more than 3.4MB VRAM per cached layer, so worst case scenario is that the engine will use ~300MB VRAM if and only if they enable a hidden feature that is disabled by default, otherwise their usage should be roughly ~100MB VRAM. If that hidden feature is enabled, there may be issues. Without it, any potato capable of even running the engine should have no issue.

43 minutes ago, pandacoder said:

I'm seeing two separate trains of thought here...

@Veruse, are you referring to trying to change the tile size from 32x32, or the number of tiles on the map (which is something along the lines of 26x32 right now)?

Trying to change the number oh tiles

1 minute ago, pandacoder said:

Changing the number of tiles in the map is not something we support. The engine is designed to work with the 26x32 dimensions. Use it at your own peril.

Also there's literally a pinned answered question about this had you looked: 

Okay thanks. I should really check the FAQ