Pokemon Go Rant

Psyclapped

To say that I'm annoyed is a bit of an understatement.

Honestly, I'm pretty miffed that Niantic completely removed the tracking system. Now, there's absolutely 0 point in the game anymore. You just walk around and hope that something pops up. See a Dragonite in the nearby section? Too bad! Just have to aimlessly walk around with no way of telling if you're walking in the right direction, hoping it'll pop up. I saw something that really clarifies it... "you don't invent Marco Polo, then remove the Polo part of the game, and hope people still keep playing."

Or at least, it was something to that effect.

I've been waiting a year for this game, ever since it was first announced. I've been waiting most of my life for something like this game to happen. I just want to be able to enjoy it the same way I did 2 weeks ago.

I mean, Hell, even a little bit of communication from Niantic would be nice. But we can't even get that. And it's so frustrating, because this game has so much potential, but we have no idea if they're even doing anything or what they're doing or what they're planning or how they're planning it or when they're planning it. It's stupid, really.

Anyway.

/endrant.

It did a couple weeks ago, and then there was this massive server-wide "3-step" glitch, where every pokemon was marked as "three steps" away, regardless of their actual location. I've used it on many occasions with very good results... before it went kaput.

Honestly i could never really get into this game, with it lack of battles and everything, it just felt like another pay to win cell phone game.

I have a feeling the popularity of this is just going to help kill the real handheld game market anyway. I mean how is Nintendo ever gonna wanna release any actual handhelds when they can just make a cell phone app for way cheaper.

Thats why you need to cheat. Root your android device or jailbreak your IOS device and download PokePal, you literally play the game using touch directional pads, it also lets you teleport to locations by using the latitude  and longitude from google maps.

I hope Niantic gets it together cause right now I don't have any interest in playing the game. I genuinely don't understand how they can make blatantly terrible decisions like this without using feedback from their playerbase. It's like they're unaware that they have the most popular mobile game of all time.

1 hour ago, Kras said:

Thats why you need to cheat. Root your android device or jailbreak your IOS device and download PokePal, you literally play the game using touch directional pads, it also lets you teleport to locations by using the latitude  and longitude from google maps.

In all honesty, as a developer, it's things like this that make me pretty frickin' miffed. I mean, sure, Niantic's pulling moves that are kindof deserving of people to use other methods to find pokemon, if that makes sense. If a company is blatantly ripping people off, then do whatever you want, I don't care.

And yes, while I'm pissed about the lack of tracking and communication, we also have to keep in mind that the game's still in development and is going to be buggy. Even with the 3step bug, I was fine. Annoyed by it, but fine. When they removed the tracking altogether, that's when everything just kinda got tossed out the window. But that's still no reason to cheat. Now if they're going out of their way to be asshats, then sure.

I don't know. I had such high hopes for this game. I'm trying to hold onto that, trying to hope Niantic will get their act together and fix this stuff.

But I've also gotta keep in mind that they're not that big of a team, and that their app's popularity is utterly massive. So, with any hope here, their office is probably on fire right now, as they try to get everything situated.

• 2 weeks later...