Do common events continue to calculate when the player changes map/instance?

NetSkeleton

Question

Hello, I was experimenting with common events and created an event which checks if a certain amount of time passes before doing something with the wait event but when the player starts the event in one map and then changes to another the end result of the event never occurs. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance. 

6 answers to this question

Common events will run depending on its trigger (autorun means it is always running, so putting a condition on it will trigger when the condition it met as it is always running)

c0b1a794dd6d70be53b7a7b0cb4102f2.png

Common events can run at anytime for anything.

Map events run on map that specific map only.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:16 AM, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Common events will run depending on its trigger (autorun means it is always running, so putting a condition on it will trigger when the condition it met as it is always running)

c0b1a794dd6d70be53b7a7b0cb4102f2.png

Common events can run at anytime for anything.

Map events run on map that specific map only.

Greetings friend. I notice in the forum you are a active user, so let me ask you something. Normally, in any system, one autorun script means endless loops or cycles that threaten the performance of any programming or system. In your experience, I see that you use this trigger quite a bit in Intersect, how has it behaved for you? Do you recommend its use? Because I regularly avoid this type of scripting. Only here, there are events that I see no other way to unleash.

3 hours ago, Arconde said:

Greetings friend. I notice in the forum you are a active user, so let me ask you something. Normally, in any system, one autorun script means endless loops or cycles that threaten the performance of any programming or system. In your experience, I see that you use this trigger quite a bit in Intersect, how has it behaved for you? Do you recommend its use? Because I regularly avoid this type of scripting. Only here, there are events that I see no other way to unleash.

The events system is not the same as true scripting, but a means to get the engine to do some cool stuff without having to do any source edits.

I've never noticed any performance issues with the events I have in my game (and I have a few complex ones), but you have to make your events efficient and work correctly, overwise the run the risk of poor performance and a bad game.

I'm not an expert on the engine, just ok at doing the events :P

I would avoid the "Autorun" common event at all costs. It might be fine when there's only a few players around, but there's certainly a chance it could wreak havoc with 100+ users online, especially if it gets complicated.

2 hours ago, Daywalkr said:

I would avoid the "Autorun" common event at all costs. It might be fine when there's only a few players around, but there's certainly a chance it could wreak havoc with 100+ users online, especially if it gets complicated.

Does it would have a difference between using multiple autorun event and using one autorun event to trigger multiple other no trigger event?

On 3/9/2024 at 12:01 PM, Gibier said:

Does it would have a difference between using multiple autorun event and using one autorun event to trigger multiple other no trigger event?

Hmm, yeah, that'd reduce the amount of events to spin up/tick. But I'd still highly recommend finding a way around an Autorun common event, there's almost always going to be a better way. TBH, that shouldn't even exist as a common event type.