Work Around not being able to get version 7 for development?

trollface

Question

I'm unable to get a working version 7 of the game from github. I can't clone the repository nor can I DL the code through a zip file, since I am unable to build from it.

Anyone know of a way to get a workable version 7 so I can build the server/client/editor in VS?

I was warned by the community to stop using version 6.2, and now I'm stuck.

14 answers to this question

you don't have to clone branches. If you have cloned the main repository which I assume you already since you have been doing work already you just need to change the branch to "prerelease" in github desktop or VS

As I stated in the above post, I cannot get the prerelease branch.

I get an error in github where my name and password do not match.

And when I get the development branch, I cannot build the files in VS2019.

I'm currently stuck with the main branch, which only gives me version 6.2

I copied the http address from the Code button, and cloned the prerelease branch.

9ef990a2cd993e6a870a5ed020a59500.png

I was able to build the server, and the server says it's version 6.2.

How can I get version 7, since I cannot build from the development branch, and the prerelease branch gives me the same version as the main branch, 6.2?

I am not doing this properly, then. Go through this with me step by step.

Here is my github desktop. I have the development branch selected. How do I get it onto my computer? I don't see an option to download it onto my computer.

b9e87f8f5620808b1dd4de6cffc3bffc.png

My goal is to have my server, client and editor all be the latest version. Right now, they are version 6.2.

@Beefy KasplantYour zip file worked!

When I get the development branch files from github ( version 7), I can't build the server file at all. With yours, I can!

I still don't like the fact that I can't build the latest version from Github, but whatever... I'll take this victory for now!

17 minutes ago, trollface said:

I am not doing this properly, then. Go through this with me step by step.

Here is my github desktop. I have the development branch selected. How do I get it onto my computer? I don't see an option to download it onto my computer.

b9e87f8f5620808b1dd4de6cffc3bffc.png

My goal is to have my server, client and editor all be the latest version. Right now, they are version 6.2.

You already have it on your computer. Just click "Show in Explorer" and open the solution file like normal.  In the Bottom right corner of Visual Studio you should see what branch you currently have active.

Whatever you have 'current branch' on in github desktop is the branch it will open. Hope this helps.

Another recommendation do not use the development branch directly, use the branch called prerelease, in development there are many things constantly changing depending on how much developers make pull requests, for example, a few days ago, practically 7 new PRs were accepted to the development branch which does not ensure that these last changes will not change again.

20 minutes ago, trollface said:

I had a bunch of people 'blast' me to use version 7, which is the development branch, instead of 6.2 The prerelease branch is 6.2, in other words, not version 7?

I think there is some confusion with the branches. I believe people assumed you were using the "main" 6.2(stable) branch. The current 'prerelease' branch is actually version 0.7.0.111

48 minutes ago, trollface said:

I had a bunch of people 'blast' me to use version 7, which is the development branch, instead of 6.2 The prerelease branch is 6.2, in other words, not version 7?

As they have just mentioned above, you should bear in mind that version 7 is divided into 2 parts, 1-Dangerous, which is the development branch and 2-Recommended, which is the prerelease, so I mention that you verify well with which one you are working already that the last "recommended" version of 7 is the prerelease 0.7.0.111 as mentioned by Justn