Forgot password timeout

Question

>2019-09-19 20:54:30.744 [Error] Failed to send email (Subject: Intersect Game Engine - Password Reset Code) to -email-. Reason: Uncaught Error System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at Intersect.Server.Notifications.Notification.Send() in C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\6c64f60308be6068\Intersect.Server\Classes\Notifications\Notification.cs:line 60exception) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at Intersect.Server.Notifications.Notification.Send() in C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\6c64f60308be6068\Intersect.Server\Classes\Notifications\Notification.cs:line 60

When I send a forgot password email, I receive this timeout after 1-3 minutes. For the From address, I'm using darkestdawnonline@gmail.com, for the from name, I'm using Darkest Dawn Online, I am using Ssl and the port 465. For the username I'm using darkestdawnonline@gmail.com and I'm using the password to that email.

Should any of these settings be different to what they are now? Is it a problem with a port not being open or something?

5 answers to this question

Sounds like settings are mostly correct.

A few small things to check:

• In your config UseSSL should be true.
  • Gmail port is actually 587 not 465.

If your gmail account has 2fa enabled then you need to create an app specific password for smtp.. here is a link for that:

https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords

Quick Google shows that when SMTP settings are valid but result in timeouts it's because it's being blocked by your ISP or network. If everything else above doesn't help it could be that and possibly outside of your control.

3 hours ago, jcsnider said:

A few small things to check:

• In your config UseSSL should be true.
  • Gmail port is actually 587 not 465.

Interesting debate on the Gmail SMTP port.
8bf8c5b6ff49dfefd82585df5f61320c.png
This is straight from Google Support. If we're using SSL, it should be 465? Or are supposed to still use 587? Either way, I'm using 465 with no Timeout issues.

I actually deal with gmail smtp settings all the time in my job. I don't know if this will translate into Intersect but normally when working with Gmail and email from a 3rd party program these will help:

Smtp Server: smtp.gmail.com

Port: 25, 465, or 587

SSL: Enabled

You need to disable 2 Step Verification (not always needed).

You need to enable Less secure apps.

This will only help if the emails are being sent from the google account. I have not looked at the password recovery tool nor am I going to pretend to know how it works.

2 hours ago, Apache_ said:

You need to enable Less secure apps.

The first time I sent a password reset email, it notified me of this and I selected "yes, this is me". Obviously it hasn't remembered that choice. If this now works, I will notify you when I get home.

Edit: Nope.