Using powerfull computers through raspberry?

Khaikaa

Hi everybody, I would like to know if there is a way to control a powerful computer (idk... 16gb ram, i7...) using a raspberry. Of course I expect that won't happen by free, but I would like to know if that's possible and how to do that. Thx!

2 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Remote desktop software has come a long way.. not sure what else you'd need.

So, for example, I could purchase a vm from azure or amazon and I could work with my raspberry as if my raspberry was a powerfull computer? doing things like programming in visual studio, working on unity... etc?

You'd be getting a VPS or dedicated server from them and without paying a hefty license fee it'll be Linux, so no Visual Studio (and I think no Unity?). I honestly think it would be cheaper in the long run to just save the money you'd be shelling out (I think around US$100+ monthly) and just build your own computer.

There are plenty of limitations. If your network lags even for a few milliseconds it can give you a headache. Those VMs generally don't have good graphic cards, so you probably won't be able to use Unity or the Intersect client.  I don't think I'd really 'recommend' it. What you want is possible though.

Hey =)

As i have first answer to your question if you want to only control any computer if you have SSH installed or putty under windows you could have the control via Shell at anytime ... But with the others question you ask i think it's not what you want ^^.

I think you was asking if you could buy a "cheap" computer for running a Virtual machine with the exemple you give me 8 CPU's and 16GB ram ... So to be brief yes you could ... But to be more realistic it's not possible ^^.

I explain :

You could use a virtualisation software for simulate the Machine you give in parameter, the problem was the next, when you host a virtual machine what happen is you share your real ressources ( the one your computer have ) with all the virtual instance you've created. So if you use a Raspberry, lets take the 3+ you will have a Quad Core with 1GB Ram ..., so you could create 4 VM with One Core and 250MB ram each, which be atleast host 10 people with Intersect i think.

So this is how work a VPS ( really basically more complex in reality but if you have this in mind you'r good to go ^^ ).

So for your answer, i think the best option for you was to buy or rent a VPS on AWS ( Amazon ), OVH, One&One, Intersect Solution ( i think it's the best if you don't want to merge to updated version as JC provide it to us ^^, thanks GOD =p )

But ...

The first question you should ask to your self was ... What's the status of my project, do i need an Online Hosting solution now or should i host it my self ... 

As JC said Intersect was well coded and didn't "eat" a lot of ressources for server running ... So with only a Custom Mini PC for less than 300$ you have a self hosted server at home if you have at least a 1GB connection i think it's perfect for your needs ( if your game growth you will have to invest in some protection like SSL, a Symmetric NAT for improve connectivity or a Domain Name .... That's just exemple ) 

And as i Said in the beginning of my post you could use SSH for connect to any PC wich was reachable,  via your laptop, any PC or android with some knowledge ^^ and with all Operating System !

Hope i have clearly explain and answer your question ^^

Edit :

So you didn't ask why i think x) ... 

As @panda say's as VM with what you need was really expensive ... And build your own computer was the same cost as rent a VM for 8 month ... So you should really consider to buy your own computer instead of rent a Virtual One as @jcsnider said if you have some lag you will snatch your hair x) ...

I work from home and on the road, I have a little linux mini PC that I use to teamviewer into my PC that I have at home. This is not the one I had, just the first one that came up when I googled it. I had one of these that I could put in my luggage and when I got to wherever I was going I would just buy a screen and then return it when I was done. I dont use it currently because I just bought a laptop instead. If you just want to control the other computer get a little chromebook and use a free program like teamviewer or splashtop.

34 minutes ago, oOScuByOo said:

The first question you should ask to your self was ... What's the status of my project, do i need an Online Hosting solution now or should i host it my self ... 

Just want to point out that 

48 minutes ago, Khaikaa said:

doing things like programming in visual studio, working on unity... etc?

is what he wanted it for, not (just) for hosting the server.

@oOScuByOo

Thank you all for your answers, it definitelly is not as I expected, so I guess it would be better to buy an actuall computer instead purchasing some vps