Graphics Isometric Eclipse

Xlithan

So I've been playing around with SkyWyre v10, and I've finally got a basic form of isometric working. There's a bunch of things that still need to be updated, but I've got movement and mapping done. The movement is still buggy, but it works and goes in the right directions etc. Just needs adjusting slightly.

The next step now is to finish making it true isometric. It still works off a square grid, so when you walk, it updates the X and Y position at the same time. That needs to be updated. What kind of lighting? If you mean when it's night time and there is a light on the player, that's easy.

1 hour ago, Xlithan said:

The next step now is to finish making it true isometric. It still works off a square grid, so when you walk, it updates the X and Y position at the same time. That needs to be updated. What kind of lighting? If you mean when it's night time and there is a light on the player, that's easy.

Yes, essentially thats what I mean. Imagine the player has a torch, a shadow is casted on the building when walking by etc, because you have 3 sides to work with when doing lighting, you could do some awesome looking stuff with it. Like this video in a way.

I had plans of making a closed source engine with it, which sounds pointless when you think of all the engines available. But none of them are isometric which would make it unique. But I don't have the time or motivation to do it.

I could release the source code, it's possible, but I'm currently using it for a project game so the source code won't be released any time soon. Still a lot of debugging to do.

As for the question on lighting, yeah I see what you mean. But that video is 3D with particle effects, it would be much more complicated to do shadows with this engine, as buildings and structures are all flat objects from PNG files. It's possible, anything is possible, but for the sake of some fancy visual effects, it's definitely not top of my list of things to do.

2 hours ago, Xlithan said:

I had plans of making a closed source engine with it, which sounds pointless when you think of all the engines available. But none of them are isometric which would make it unique. But I don't have the time or motivation to do it.

I could release the source code, it's possible, but I'm currently using it for a project game so the source code won't be released any time soon. Still a lot of debugging to do.

As for the question on lighting, yeah I see what you mean. But that video is 3D with particle effects, it would be much more complicated to do shadows with this engine, as buildings and structures are all flat objects from PNG files. It's possible, anything is possible, but for the sake of some fancy visual effects, it's definitely not top of my list of things to do.

Mirage was first released under a GPL license, a copy left license that means all derivitives of the software (including derivitives of derivitives) must also inherit the GPL license. legally you cannot close the source to any derivitive of it... Not that that matters, because no one cares  for it...

1 hour ago, Crest3DeezNuts said:

Mirage was first released under a GPL license, a copy left license that means all derivitives of the software (including derivitives of derivitives) must also inherit the GPL license. legally you cannot close the source to any derivitive of it... Not that that matters, because no one cares  for it...

No one cares lets be honest :P

Just now, Kibbelz said:

No one cares lets be honest :P

I made it very clear that nobody cares.

So just in case that no one is aware, nobody cares what you do with eclipse.

Believe me nobody cares. I'm still in contact with Consty, and he doesn't give a shit. Shannara never gave a shit either as we were quite close back in the day on the original Mirage forums. Those are the 2 original founders and owners of Mirage Online / Mirage Source, so rest assured, any license that was applied to Mirage Source has long been forgotten about.

For anybody interested, Consty is developing a browser-based version of classic Mirage Online: https://twitter.com/consty