Concept Eltaris : War for the lost Kingdom (RVR/PVP with territorial control)

intristin

logo.png

THE STORY 

The Kingdom of Eltaris once ruled the entire world and created great wonders such as the Rebirth and Focus stones. Peace and happiness was a universal experience and it was a true golden age. Then a darkness came over the land and turned good people into monsters. They raped and pillaged their way through the lands infecting others and turning them. Some however proved immune to the darkness. Those left standing split into three Kingdoms and became embroiled in a cold war that has lasted hundreds of years. They fight to control the central lands which are rich with resources and one day the entire world. A new golden age of peace and prosperity is within reach. Which side will you choose to fight for? Or will you decide to start a Kingdom of your own? 

GAMEPLAY OVERVIEW 

Eltaris is a free 2D MMORPG being built with the Intersect Game Engine. The game features no class system and a limited quest based level system. Killings monster will not give you any experience points, only completing quests. That means no mindless grinding. Reaching a new level won't make you any stronger by itself, but it will open up new questlines that will allow you to learn skills. Skills will not be sold in shops but are quest rewards. The more skill quests that become available to you, the more combat and spell options will open up. This will give your character more choices in how you approach combat as you progress through the game, basically making you a more diverse player. But it won't necessarily make you any more powerful than you were when you first logged in. This is on purpose to avoid the newbie slaughter that happens in most games like this which only drives new players away as they have no way to counter a 50 to 80 level difference. 5 newbs in starting armor should absolutely be able to take down a single vet. I want the game to be more strategy wins over your typical stats win of most other games. More on how weapons and armor factor in a later section. All players can learn everything but will be limited by which skills they can use at any given time based on their Focus, more on that in the next section. 

FOCUS STONES 

Focus Stones will be located next to every Rebirth Stone in the world. While you can learn any spell and skill and acquire any weapon, Focus stones will determine which you can use at any given time. A limit of 10 at a time while in your hotbar during combat. Everything in game will have a required focus to use. You can change your focus at any time as many times as you want by visiting and clicking on a Focus stone. Your options are as follows.... 

EARTH FOCUS (TANK) : RARE ARMOR - STANDARD WEAPONS - BASIC HEAL/BUFF - BASIC MAGIC DAMAGE

WIND FOCUS (DPS) : STANDARD ARMOR - RARE WEAPONS - BASIC HEAL/BUFF - BASIC MAGIC DAMAGE

WATER FOCUS (HEAL) : BASIC ARMOR - BASIC WEAPONS - RARE HEAL/BUFF - STANDARD MAGIC DAMAGE

FIRE FOCUS (MAGE) : BASIC ARMOR - BASIC WEAPONS - STANDARD HEAL/BUFF - RARE MAGIC DAMAGE

THE POWER OF WEAPONS AND ARMOR

As mentioned above there are only 3 types of weapons, armor, and spells in game. Basic, Standard, and Rare. Lets use weapons as an example. All basic weapons in game will basically have the same ballpark of damage output. All standard weapons would have twice as much damage output as basic weapons. And all rare weapons would have twice as much damage output as a standard. This same formula applies to everything in game. This means the a Veteran player fully decked out in rare gear and at max level, you would have about 4 times the damage output and armor defences as a brand new player in basic gear. Hence my comment in the previous section about 5 newbs taking down a vet if they wanted to. I have not worked out all the details yet but It should only take a player a week or two to train up to rare in any single category.  But it would take as long as a year to max everything conceivable option out.

STARTING OUT IN SAFETY 

Players will choose one of three Kingdoms to fight for when they begin the game. Depending on their choice they will start the game in one of three cities. These cities and the lands and the villages around them will be complete safe zones. These areas will also be full of skill quests and item quests which will introduce players to the lore of the game. Players can freely travel between all three kingdoms, which are located around the coast of the main island. But depending on the Kingdom your bound to, shop and Bank NPCS will not interact with you. And consignment NPCS will charge a heavy markup. There will be some black market dealers who will deal with you but expect to pay a heavy markup. Best to shop in your own kingdom. This area of the game will also feature fun things to do for a player that has no interest in RVR or PVP combat. There will also be arenas that you can practice your hand at PVP without the risk of losing anything. 

FULL RVR GAMEPLAY 

The center area of the island is where the blood will be shed. Many small keeps will be located through this vast area and feature some of the more valuable harvestable resources to craft into better armor, weapons, and items in game. The deeper you go inland, the better they get. This entire area will be RVR and you can attack or be attacked by players of the other two kingdoms. This area will feature full loot AND EQUIPMENT drop on death. Equipment has a LOW chance of breaking and becoming unusable to the person who loots the corpse. This is to feed the player driven economy. The keeps will be surrounded by powerful guards that will protect the players of the kingdom that controls it. To take the keep for your side you will have to fight your way through the guards, the players, and kill The Lord Commander of the Keep. Upon his death the keep will belong to your Kingdom and it's guards will respawn to protect you and yours. Keeps will feature everything you need to restock and craft and get ready for adventure. There will also be questlines that when completed will allow you to switch sides and join another Kingdom so you won't be stuck with the choice you make when you start the game.. I can smell the dirty traitors and spies allready. 

LOST CITY OF THE ANCIENTS 

Within the RVR lands you will come across the once great capital city of the Ancients. Unable to use the Rebirth stones, death is final for those still alive with the Darkness so their numbers have dwindled. While they can reproduce to increase their numbers they are reaching extinction.  But even after hundreds of years of dwindling numbers they still control this lost city. What amazing ancient knowledge forgotten to time might be within these walls? Who is brave enough to venture in and find out? This area is also RVR and it is highly recommended that you bring friends. Anything less is certain death, from other players or the Ancients themselves. With darkness came great power. This is also the home of the Guild Master so those wanting to lead will have to venture here!

FULL PVP GAMEPLAY 

Ships and sea monsters will make up a vast ocean full of smaller islands. This entire area will be unrestricted PVP with full loot AND EQUIPMENT drop on death. Equipment has a HIGH chance of breaking and becoming unusable to the person who loots the corpse. This is to feed the player driven economy. Each of these smaller islands will also have two keeps for you to take, but you won't be taking them for your Kingdom, you will be taking these keeps for your guild. The resources that can be found in this land are the very best and rarest, and they can be used to craft the rarest and most powerful items in game. Those who control these resources will have attained great power. Do you sell them and become rich? Or do your hoard them and become feared? 

CONSIGNMENT VENDORS

Items labeled as basic can be purchased at any NPC vendor in the kingdoms. Items labeled as standard or rare can be crafted by gathered resources and sold exclusively by players who set their own price. Players can list and sell their goods at any local consignment vendor. These vendors are local and players need to travel to their location in the world to buy and sell their goods. There is no global market.  Consignment vendors will charge a 10% tax to all locals within the kingdoms and a 50% tax to those who are loyal to other kingdoms. Consignment vendors in PVP areas will have their tax rate set by the guild that places them. That guild will get all the revenue. 

RESOURCES, BANKS, AND DIRTY PIRATES 

The game has 3 resource types to gather. Basic Resources are used in crafting everything and can be found anywhere in the relative safety of the kingdoms. Standard Resources are used along with Basic Resources to craft better weapons, armor, and items than those that can be purchased in NPC shops. These resources are located exclusively in the RVR areas. Rare Resources along with Basic Resources are used to craft the best weapons, armor, and items in game. These resources can only be found in the PVP areas. If you want to keep those resources safe from looting banks are a great option. All banks will be local throughout the game world so if your want something in another area you will have to physically move it there. Players gathering resources in far off lands can use nearby banks to keep their riches safe while they gather and hunt, but don't expect any ability to access those once you head back to the safety of the Kingdoms. Don't like to gather resources you say? Become a dirty pirate and let your victims do all the menial labor. If you can find a pattern in the movement of goods, your sure to build a fortune unrivaled.

GUILDS ARE NOT FOR THE WEAK

Do you think that you have the leadership skills to lead your people to riches and glory? Well sorry, your going to have to prove it first. To start a player guild your going to need a guild deed FIRST. And to get that your going to have to go on an epic quest. To successfully complete this quest your going to need help from your friends. Not only that, but your going to have to be organized in order to pull it off. When others see a guild leader walk into a room, they will be impressed, because you my friend have done what few others have been able to do. You are to be respected! So seek out the Guild Master in the Lost City to begin your epic quest to glory. Guilds will have the ability to control keeps in the far off PVP areas. They will with luck and hard work control the flow of Rare Resources. But to protect your new Kingdom your going to need numbers, can you win people over to fight and die by your side? We will see..

THE WORLD OF ELTARIS

So I have been working on this map guide for my game to make the job of creating the world easier for me to do. None of this is set in stone and things will probably change a lot once I get in the editor. But it will give you a pretty solid idea of how the game world will be laid out once everything is done and ready to go. The 3 PVE areas shown are the 3 different Kingdoms. Each will have a big capital and 9 smaller villages serving as quest hubs. You can also see the 20 keeps located within the RVR zone that you will be taking for your Kingdom. And on the ocean you see 10 PVP islands each with 2 keeps on either end. Will you share them or take both for yourself? You can click on the map to view the full size. It's going to take me months to build all this out but I have done it before so I can do it again. 8)

worldmapplan.png

PREMIUM CONTENT AND THE FUTURE 

This game will always be free to download and play for everyone who wants to join in on the fun. But running a server and paying developers isn't free. While we are using a wonderful game engine with lots of features there is many changes that need to be done to accomplish our vision. So there will be premium content available for those who choose to support us. Just to be clear, none of this content will give players any kind of advantage in game. This system will created and added after the base game launches. More details will be announced around the game's launch. We are targeting a Summer 2018 launch but that could change. Since the source code has not been released yet I am focusing my time on planning out the map (which you can see a draft of above) and the way in which the various game systems will work. I have a pretty detailed plan beyond what I have posted above but I'd rather not share everything publicly. I will be using this thread to answer any questions and post any important updates on my progress. 

22 minutes ago, SkywardRiver said:

Approve. If you have em, try to get some screeshots up when you can. Looking forward to hearing more about this project!

Yup I will certainly do that. Right now I have not started mapping yet as I I still have to put together a final tileset. What I am doing is planing out the entire game map on paper. All the points of interests, where the borders and towns will go, ect. I may post these drawings once I have more done. I won't be making any maps until I have a solid plan in place about where everything is going. I have learned from my past projects it's much easier that way and you end up with a better map instead of winging everything and then having to go back and change tons of stuff because content won't fit where it needs to be. Anyways, I will keep this post updated with the latest.

5 hours ago, jesusbleach said:

Seeems very cool !

Thanks so much, I have big plans..

So I updated the main post with some more information about how guilds and banks will work. I also added a world map so you can get an idea of how everything I mentioned will work together and provide lots of gameplay options. More information will be posted soon. 

5 minutes ago, DervişOyuncu said:

Pufff,this project almost the same as my project,I thought my project was original:'(but not problem because I am going to publish my project in my own country... Good Luck 

Your Turkish, my best friend is Turkish, I can't speak a lick of it. In anycase, lots of games that use the same engine will end up being similar in different ways. It's not that big of a deal, you keep doing your thing. Let me know when it comes out and I'll tell my friend to try it out. I would try it myself but like I said, I don't speak the language.  :P

14 hours ago, DervişOyuncu said:

Thanks,  say hello him :D,   but my project has not started,I have to a team,probebly this Will be from my school friends,and I am a high school student,;D,there  is a long way:D

I'm 40 years old and I have done this 2 times before with other engines. I can tell you that I have had many jobs and projects over the years, but nothing has ever been more difficult, yet more rewarding than designing a game and launching it to the public. To see hundreds of people running around the world you spent endless months planning and hand crafting and watching them enjoy it is the best feeling a person can have. It's the reason I'm putting myself through it again. I have a feeling this amazing engine will make things a lot easier, but I still expect challenges. You should too! You may have a long way to go but stick with it man. You will run into to endless roadblocks, it will stress you and your friends out, but at the end of the day the payoff will be worth it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. By the way, my friend said he will definitely check your project out when it's ready. Good luck to you man. ;D

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cruist22 said:

Looks quite interesting. What are the playable races going to be? 

Most likey humans will be the only playable race. Doing more then that would require lots of extra art including paper dolling. I'm not set in stone on this but the game will probably only have one race at launch. In anycase I'm pretty much at a standstill until the source comes out. Im guessing it will be a few months before I really get started. For the time being this project is in a holding status.