What does CPS mean?

eins

Question

What does the server command cps mean?

> cps /?
    Usage: cps [status] [lock] [unlock] /?
    Desc: Prints the current CPS. The status flag tells if the server loop is locked or unlocked. The lock flag locks the cps while the unlock flag unlocks it.

Maybe calculations per second? It seems to be higher, when i run the server on my slower machine. However, it didnt really go up when i spawned a lot of NPCs to try and up the CPU load.

/edit:

Oh jeah, and i apologize in advance if this has been asked before. The search does not seem to accept "cps", probably because its too short.

4 answers to this question

It's cycles per second, specifically cycles of the logic loop IIRC. No idea why a slower machine hit a higher number, but this is why it doesn't go up with a lot of NPCs.

"Calculations" would either be extremely difficult to measure or we'd be twisting the definition to exclude most of the calculations that we can't really count, because technically every addition, subtraction or multiplication is a calculation.

3 hours ago, SPQR Panda said:

It's cycles per second, specifically cycles of the logic loop IIRC. No idea why a slower machine hit a higher number, but this is why it doesn't go up with a lot of NPCs.

"Calculations" would either be extremely difficult to measure or we'd be twisting the definition to exclude most of the calculations that we can't really count, because technically every addition, subtraction or multiplication is a calculation.

Allright, interresting.

On my Linux machine (pretty weak little vServer) this stays at 99-100 cps. Unlocked this goes up to about 250.000 cps.

On my Windows Homeserver it is always around 58-64 cps.  Unlocked is about 450.000 cps.

Both machines not really running anything in the background.

Any idea why it is locked lower on my 'faster' machine?

Maybe it would be a good idea to lock this to a chosen value, like "cps lock 200" ?

24 minutes ago, eins said:

Allright, interresting.

On my Linux machine (pretty weak little vServer) this stays at 99-100 cps. Unlocked this goes up to about 250.000 cps.

On my Windows Homeserver it is always around 58-64 cps.  Unlocked is about 450.000 cps.

Both machines not really running anything in the background.

Any idea why it is locked lower on my 'faster' machine?

Maybe it would be a good idea to lock this to a chosen value, like "cps lock 200" ?

It's not locked lower on the faster machine, I would think it's locked at 100CPS. It's how it's locking, and that how is clearly a time hog on Windows but not on Linux. This is demonstrated by the unlocked CPS for each operating system. You can blame Microsoft and whoever implemented the locking (I think it was @jcsnider, and if it isn't he can go throw @Kibbelz under the bus in his stead).

P.S. Please open a bug report for this, this is definitely something that needs to be addressed, and having a bug report open for it will help me remember it.