Paperdoll Tutorial

Mcadams

What is a paperdoll?

A paperdoll is a graphic that goes over your character sprite, to give off the illusion that they're wearing a piece of armor or a weapon. In this quick tutorial I'll show you how to make a paperdoll.

How to make a paperdoll

1. Pull up the sprite you're using for your game.

gOFlgXU.png

2. Find an item you want to make a paperdoll of. If you don't make your own graphics, this might be hard, because in order to do a paperdoll well you need to have it match the motions of your sprite. For this tutorial I'll paperdoll a simple sword.

V9SrdUP.png

3. First, do the forward facing paperdoll for your weapon. Some people just overlay the weapon, but I like to have it match the hand movements for an even better look.

iGIrxVB.png

4. Follow this up for the left, right, and backward facing sprite.

Q8HtYBE.png

5. Next, since we don't want sprite we're using as a guide to cover up the player's sprite, we need to remove the sprite surrounding the paperdoll until you are left with just the sword.

1ETb5Qr.png

6. Take your paperdoll, and put it in the paperdoll folder in your Intersect Client's resource folder. Number it accordingly; if it's your only paperdoll, just name it 1.

QYFVRYK.png

7. Take your favorite image editing software (I use Paint.net for this) and make the background on the paperdoll transparent.

QpfW2ct.png

8. Now, let's see this paperdoll in action. Boot up your Intersect Server and Editor. Make an item, set it as an Equipment, then a Weapon, and set the male and female paperdolls as the paperdoll.

PsgEeKc.png

9. Now you're done! Equip the weapon in game and check it out.

If you have any other questions about paperdolls or if the guide is unclear let me know. I'll be happy to help =)

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, kp420 said:

would I also put the chars skin models in there with armors,helm,hairs in that fold too?

Chars go in Entities folder. All stuff that a character can wear and will change the looks of your character by equipping something go in the paperdolls folder.

Hairs are not really nicely done at the moment so you either need to make different characters for different hairs, or you need to make hair equippable.

PS: 

On 11/12/2016 at 2:32 AM, IAskQuestionsTooMuchButHey said:

Awww u stole the paperdoll tutorial xD what can I do now? @jcsnider Tell meh xD

embarassing,,,

35 minutes ago, Kasplant said:

Chars go in Entities folder. All stuff that a character can wear and will change the looks of your character by equipping something go in the paperdolls folder.

Hairs are not really nicely done at the moment so you either need to make different characters for different hairs, or you need to make hair equippable.

PS: 

embarassing,,,

w h y