NPC Conversations

Grizzy

This is really just a random question more than something I really need help with. Lately I've been doing some reading on NPC generators (unrelated to games) and what it takes to create a real feeling NPC that appears to have a dynamic personality, and it got me thinking... What do you think is important for Player to Computer dialog? What keeps a conversation from seeming generic and boring to being fun and entertaining. Also how long should conversations be, you don't want to make them to long winded and boring taking away from the game and trying to force an agenda or story-line down somebodies throat that might not be interested.

So really the question is just that. What do you look for in a game when you play?

What are some of your favorite games you've played with dynamic story-lines and player vs NPC conversations?

What turns you off from a game when it comes to game dialog?

And what key words (conversations) do you see as being over used, cliche, and what looks like it's pulled out of Bard's Tale?

Thanks. :)

I would definitely take advantage of the event system to make more dynamic conversations. You can use a bunch of switches to check if events have occurred or not which effect how the npc talks to you. One example would be like if the NPC is someone's father, and you saved their son or daughter in a dungeon or something, they'd talk to you with more praise and enthusiasm than someone who didn't. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with the event system, and even little details like that make the NPC-player discussions feel a lot more lively and less mundane. Like I said, that's just one small simple example, there are much more intricate and interesting things that could be done. 

I agree with MCADAMS, lots you can do with the event system. It really depends on the type of character you're conversating with. If I'm talking to a sad, depressed NPC, I want to feel bad for them (essentially), if it's an NPC that's just done a heroic task, (maybe I helped?) and I want to feel victorious! The big part about dialogue is FEELING, in my opinion. 

Event System is the best and easiest way to add some realism to your characters.

One Way:

Assign a variable called "Banter." When an Event happens set that variable to the corresponding number. Have pages for each event with "Banter" variable as a condition, then create dialogue corresponding to each number.

Second Way:

Assign a Variable to each NPC. Then when events happens that affects the NPC, set the variable for each NPC. Then make event pages checking to see which number the npc is on and do the dialogue that way.

One of the best games with character banter is Baldur's Gate II and the expansion. Mass Effect as well or anything related to Bioware usually. :P

Some of the worst are the ones that give you the illusion of choices and in the end doesn't matter what you picked.

@Grizzy (I hope this what you're asking and I'm not a idiot) I like npc's who have a very real and defined personality who feel realistic in their dialog and actions, think along the lines of handsome jack from borderlands 2 as he really conveys who he is by the way he speaks and acts without you even having to see the guy

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah man this is easy... 

Your NPCs are not NPCs.. they are people. Or creatures, or whatever. Don't ever ever make a PC get in a deep convo with an NPC if you haven't thought about what their house looks like, what they act like when they wake up, what their favorite color is, how they feel about people knocking on the door unannounced.. You have to imagine what this being is. After that, dialog options/responses/twists will become super easy. 

The easiest way to do this is base them off a character that already exists. Someone you know in real life, a character in a movie, etc. Ideas are made of other ideas. 

If you're at the point where you're making an MMORPG, you have an imagination. Don't give it boundaries. 

peace!

I like the idea of closing off or opening areas for people based on the quests they do and also activating/shutting off quests that way.

If player A does a specific quest line, they'll get access to a mine, whilst player B doesn't- this will add a value to zone specific gathered resources and crafting drops.