Auto-Updater

Lunam

Question

I'm struggling hardcore with this. I've looked all over the Documentation and these forums. I'm totally lost. I made a Wix site(they allow .rar file hosting) for testing the auto updater and i just cant get it. I have no idea how this works and tbh, the documentation just simply doesn't explain enough. I even just tried using FileZilla and OMG TF IS THIS?!?!

I really need someone to break down how to properly auto-update my client as if theyre explaining it to a damn rock. Cuz thats what I feel like right now. Been at this for hours and i just can't anymore.

What files EXACTLY do I need? How tf do I set it up with a website such as wix?

I know I have to give the client's config an update URL but i have to actually upload the damn thing first to get the URL then I have to edit the config with the new URL and REUPLOAD which CHANGES the URL?!?

Please. Send help. :37_disappointed:

3 answers to this question

Update on this situation:

Wix cannot be used with Intersect's updater system. This is because it disallows uploading .json (which is the format the update manifest is stored in), and .exe (which is the client file format).

A video walk-through and text instructions have been added to the official documentation:
https://docs.freemmorpgmaker.com/en-US/deploy/updater/

9 hours ago, Lunam said:

I'm struggling hardcore with this. I've looked all over the Documentation and these forums. I'm totally lost. I made a Wix site(they allow .rar file hosting) for testing the auto updater and i just cant get it. I have no idea how this works and tbh, the documentation just simply doesn't explain enough. I even just tried using FileZilla and OMG TF IS THIS?!?!

I really need someone to break down how to properly auto-update my client as if theyre explaining it to a damn rock. Cuz thats what I feel like right now. Been at this for hours and i just can't anymore.

What files EXACTLY do I need? How tf do I set it up with a website such as wix?

I know I have to give the client's config an update URL but i have to actually upload the damn thing first to get the URL then I have to edit the config with the new URL and REUPLOAD which CHANGES the URL?!?

Please. Send help. :37_disappointed:

Hi !

For use Auto Updater, you have two ways but i will explain here only one :

In your editor you have Tools menus to the top, click on package update, create folder for receive update,  and once it's done, inside this folder you have files + update.json file, you need to upload this files inside your web domain (without package in zip or other things).

Once it's live, open client and updater work (don't forget set url to update.json file).

-----------------
Other way need a webhost who support PHP for host entire game + php script.

To be honest, it's a very confusing process at first, since somethings don't seem logical.
It's important you follow the steps exactly:

1. You need 2 copies of your game (one is your main, and you do NOT have it configured to the update URL)
2. Once you make a copy of your entire game folder, Open the editor in the Copied Folder
3. Put the updater URL link in the copied folders Config.json. (You don't need to have any files uploaded to put the folder name in the URL)
example: "https:/yourgamename.s3.amazonaws.com/update/update.json"
4. create a folder on your desktop called 'update'
5. Go to 'Tools' >  'Package Update' in the editor.
6. Select the folder of your Copied Game files
7. Select the folder you made called 'update'
8. It will package your update now.
9. Go to that 'update' folder and upload that directly to your Updater Host.
10. Success!

Important: Continue your work on your MAIN folder that is not connected to the update URL - if you config it to the auto-updater it will update itself to the previous version on your updater host.