Paperdolls on 32x32 characters?

lurv

Question

So, paperdolls that exceed the character size and go out of the borders, how do you do them on Intersect?

On eclipse, I would basically just make my 32x32 character sheet have excess space around it per frame

I tried doing this on Intersect and my character spazzed out. Any ideas?

14 answers to this question

c0bef453d7.png

Sprite without space for paperdolls

2067977829.png

Sprite that has space for paperdolls around it (Hats, big weapons and shields etc)

The second sprite doesn't work.

First sprite is a tileset image of 128 x 128 with each frame being 32 x 32.  That means these 32 x 32 characters will be perfectly centered in a 32 x 32 px tile.

Second sprite is a tile set image of 384 x 384 with each frame being 96 x 96.  But each 96 x 96 frame still has a 32 x 32 character in center of it.  I guess that the idea is to have the 32 x 32 character still be perfectly centered in a 32 x 32 px tile but have stuff extending on either side of that 32 x 32 px tile.  I have not tested it, but it looks like you did it right.  Except for one thing.  I would have had the 32 x 32 character on the bottom of each 96 x 96 frame.  That is the only thing that I would have changed.  Also, you don't have to have your frames perfect square.  You could use 96 x 64 frames for example and have your tileset image 384 x 256 instead of 384 x 384.  But yeah, I'm new to Intersect, never played with paperdolls, and am a bit drunk now.  So if this was not at all helpful, I apologize.

Why don't you provide a screenshot of the end result, the one you are not happy with so we can picture exactly why you are unhappy?  What do you mean exactly by spazzing out?  Actually a video would be more helpful than a screenshot.

18 minutes ago, gaveitatry said:

I just did a clean install of 1.5 using default map and tile size, and I used your second sprite the one with space around each entity.  It is not spazzing out at all.  It looks perfectly fine.

Oh wiat no i remember now, Note how the character is drawn 32 tiles lower than it should? Try making a house or something, you can walk through it kind of.

Your hitbox/actual character position is 32 pixels higher than the actual sprite.

If this is about hitboxes, then yeah your hitbox is limited to only 32 x 32.  Everything else will be phantom.  But which of the 96 x 96 frame is that 32 x 32?  I don't know for sure, but I think that it is the bottom portion of the 96 x 96 frame.  So yes, from left to right, center it.  But from top to bottom, don't center it.  Place the character on the very bottom part of that 96 x 96.  And then MAYBE it will work.  Like I said, I have barely touched Intersect and I have not tested any of this out.  Drunk too.

5 minutes ago, gaveitatry said:

If this is about hitboxes, then yeah your hitbox is limited to only 32 x 32.  Everything else will be phantom.  But which of the 96 x 96 frame is that 32 x 32?  I don't know for sure, but I think that it is the bottom portion of the 96 x 96 frame.  So yes, from left to right, center it.  But from top to bottom, don't center it.  Place the character on the very bottom part of that 96 x 96.  And then MAYBE it will work.  Like I said, I have barely touched Intersect and I have not tested any of this out.  Drunk too.

Oh,yeah. I guess I could try placing it at the very bottom, it's just that I won't have room for shoe paperdolls but oh well its not like i need big shoes anyways

Well test it out to see if it even works.  If it does work, then we know how to fix the hitboxes and then you will have to come up with an idea for the shoe paperdolls.  If you need me to move it all to the bottom for you, let me know.  I might be able to do it quickly and save you some time.

3 hours ago, jcsnider said:

Use the Sprite without space for paper dolls and then a paperdoll that is large like 96x96. It should center that 96x96 frame on the smaller Sprite -- at least that's how I intended to combat this problem. 

I'll try this, coming back later to confirm if it works or not.

I would love to see offsets for paperdolls to combat this issue. The colliding would still be handled by the original 32x32 tile on the player, but allow for paperdolls to be larger. I believe a system that uses a center would take control from the developer and dump it on the artist - therefore involving more out of program development. I think Sky has all the logic sorted out that he may be able to send your way, unsure of that though.

Ex. Player is 32x32 & paperdoll is 36x36 then creator input is offset.x = 2 & offset.y = 2

Instead of having a centering calculation that is something like: ((player.xy-paperdol.xy) / 2 = offset.xy) just put the offset.x & offset.y in the equipement options. 

Maybe even allow negative integers for smaller paperdolls and advanced developers?

Not sure if this is a decent idea, but just wanted to share my thoughts. If offsets are added then there will need to be a tutorial made for ease of use, at least I think so :P  Anyways, cheers!

Edit: My example is riding on the paperdoll being centered in the 36x36, and the entire concept of inputting offsets is to avoid centering every paperdoll, and allowing maximum customisation.