Engine update and self-translation

Castiel

Question

Hello everyone. I still can't figure out if it's possible to update the engine automatically somehow? After all, if you download a new one, you will have to transfer all the changed files and there may be problems with -  .json files.

The second question, which is also related to engine updates: what to do with .json files in my native language (I translated them into another language myself)? I do not know what new lines have been added to .json files and what has changed in them, respectively, you will have to completely replace them with new ones? Then my translation will be lost.

4 answers to this question

We do not ship new language files in our update or patch releases only in the 'full' downloads for brand new projects. So when you overwrite your current project with the updated files you should never lose your language json with existing translations.

When you launch a new version of the server/client/editor any changed or newly added language strings should appear in your json alongside your existing translations. Unfortunately we don't have a good way of showing what is new/changed at this time but a complete replacement isn't necessary.

12 hours ago, jcsnider said:

Мы не отправляем новые языковые файлы в наших обновлениях или выпусках исправлений, только при "полной" загрузке для совершенно новых проектов. Поэтому, когда вы перезаписываете свой текущий проект обновленными файлами, вы никогда не должны терять свой языковой json с существующими переводами.

Когда вы запускаете новую версию сервера / клиента / редактора, любые измененные или недавно добавленные языковые строки должны отображаться в вашем json рядом с вашими существующими переводами. К сожалению, у нас нет хорошего способа показать, что нового / изменено на данный момент, но полная замена не требуется.

I think I got it. And what is the difference between "Intersect Engine 0.7.1.66-beta Upgrade" and "Intersect Engine 0.7.1.66-beta Patch". What should I download? P.S. Can I download the latest released version or do I need to see all the previous ones before it? (what if there is some updated file that is not in the latest version? My version is several versions behind the new one)

1 hour ago, jcsnider said:

You use patch when the only difference between your current build and the new build is the revision number (0.7.1.XXX).

You upgrade when the major or minor number is changing, and upgrades must be done in order (0.7.1 -> 0.7.2 -> 0.7.3 -> 0.8.X) etc.

One thing to add is right now when the build number changes we may or may not have updated assets.
Downloading patch should be sufficient, but if you see something weird like a window not displaying correctly, then there was probably an asset change and you should download upgrade to get any missing asset changes.