Player built Buildings

hallsofvallhalla

Question

Hi all, New here and was wondering if anyone has implemented player built buildings using resources. Before I go digging into the source and trying to do it myself was wondering if it has been attempted or accomplished. Any good place to start? 

Basically players can change a tile from dirt to a floor using wood as an example. 

7 answers to this question

Something like this could be done with the event system but most likely not how you want it. You would have to have the areas pre determined where the buildings would be placed. Then have a little animation notifying a player could build there. Then an event that player interacts with to start the building project. When the player interacts with the event it tells the player how many and of what resources are required. Following with an option to build or exit the dialogue. If the player selects build that have the event check and take items from players inventory. Then you can use the wait attribute to not complete the construction until the selected wait time is over. It would also be possible to have the animation or graphic change during the event to show progress on building progression. Is this what you had in mind?  I'm not sure about making a timer count the wait time during construction and display to player.

Yeah that's definitely not what I am looking for. I just started looking though the source and DB structure and maybe I need to see more on how things are built but could I not click on a tile, have a function to grab that location on tile in the TileData column of Db and just alter that data to the appropriate tile? 

Thanks! For a quick proof of concept I am currently binding a Build method to the B key that sends a Build Packet to the server and attempting to modify the map there. Like I said only about 10 minutes into the code but this is a major feature I would need to use the engine.