Prefab system

holor

Question

It's so annoying to put trees up. You need to switch between layers and place blocks. Of course I can handle that, but what if needed to put a large chunks of something with a lot of events or blocks and NPCs? With a prefab system, you can do this once, and then just select the thing and place it where you want. 

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, holor said:

It's so annoying to put trees up. You need to switch between layers and place blocks. Of course I can handle that, but what if needed to put a large chunks of something with a lot of events or blocks and NPCs? With a prefab system, you can do this once, and then just select the thing and place it where you want. 

Actually you can copy and paste using the Editor Tools...

1 hour ago, BabyLoves said:

@BabyLoves I don't think that can do two layers at the same time which is the request.

To the original post, it's not like I haven't thought about this, but I can't think of a good way of implementing this right now.

28 minutes ago, panda said:

@BabyLoves I don't think that can do two layers at the same time which is the request.

To the original post, it's not like I haven't thought about this, but I can't think of a good way of implementing this right now.

I actually don't need this functionality but just tossing something up in the air. Intersect already has the functionality to copy a single layer or all layers, is it not possible to select specific layers with checkboxes in that same tab to copy those specific layers? Regardless I don't think this would help.

To OP, it may help to use a test map to build out the things you want to build and copy that over to the map you're working on. This is how all of the main things in my game.

1 hour ago, BabyLoves said:

Yes, you can do that, but what if I needed to place 10 different trees and several events on 5 different maps? I would need to do this at least once manually, and after that I would need to go back to the first map in order to copy the trees or events.

Just a tip: Prefab 'em yourself within a program like Photoshop or GIMP. I use to do this myself so that only have to count in the ''mask1'' layer and ''fringe1'' within the development engine.

Make sure that you work with blocks in the 32x32 format so that the actual ''B's" will fit with the graphics within the development engine.
Pro's: Do it fast and quick. Have a forest in no-time.
Con's: Always keep paying attention to what layer you are working so the trees will do as you wish them to be.

Goodluck! :)

7 hours ago, XTRS said:

Just a tip: Prefab 'em yourself within a program like Photoshop or GIMP. I use to do this myself so that only have to count in the ''mask1'' layer and ''fringe1'' within the development engine.

Make sure that you work with blocks in the 32x32 format so that the actual ''B's" will fit with the graphics within the development engine.
Pro's: Do it fast and quick. Have a forest in no-time.
Con's: Always keep paying attention to what layer you are working so the trees will do as you wish them to be.

Goodluck! :)

I think the point was that they do not want to have to navigate to multiple layers to copy all of the data, any normal tileset would effectively already be a prefab insofar as an image editor is concerned, and this doesn't help copy other data.