Constant Event/NPC animation.

TOAGame

Question

Hello everyone!

Quick question. I'm going to attempt to try this out myself, but ill take any and all help on how to accomplish this. Lets say I have an NPC or an event that is a butterfly.....When it walks around in does its walk/fly animation but when it stands there its just still. How can I make a butterfly or specific sprite do its animation while standing still to give a more life like feeling?

5 answers to this question

I think that's not the right answer @Beast Realm. That would mess up EVERY sprite he might want to set up with an idle animation in the future.

There's another option "AnimatedSprites": [] in the root of the server config that you can add sprite names to to force their sprites to always animate.

"AnimatedSprites": ["bat.png", "beholder.png"],

1 hour ago, TOAGame said:

Now I feel stupid. Thanks man, I didn't think to look in configs, only the actual source. For whatever reason though, upgrading to development is not working so unless people are using the closed version of 6.2 in the source, I guess I have to wait. I'm also only running 6.1 until 6.2 becomes stable so I forgot about that. Appreciate you!

Development is not something I'd recommend you use. We're constantly changing and trying things out on that particular branch. 

As for 6.2, that is open source as it is. It's called the Prerelease branch. https://github.com/AscensionGameDev/Intersect-Engine/tree/prerelease

For Npcs or player you can use the "Idle" stance :

Inside the server "config" files theres are these line :

"Sprites": {
    "IdleFrames": 4,
    "NormalFrames": 4,
    "CastFrames": 4,
    "AttackFrames": 4,
    "ShootFrames": 4,
    "WeaponFrames": 4,
    "NormalSheetAttackFrame": 3,
    "NormalSheetDashFrame": 1,
    "MovingFrameDuration": 200,
    "IdleFrameDuration": 200,
    "TimeBeforeIdle": 4000

If you want a fast idle stance you can lower this number.

Also you need an "idle" Stance inside you entities folder.

Look at the beginning of this post for more information :

Hope it will help you.

H

Now I feel stupid. Thanks man, I didn't think to look in configs, only the actual source. For whatever reason though, upgrading to development is not working so unless people are using the closed version of 6.2 in the source, I guess I have to wait. I'm also only running 6.1 until 6.2 becomes stable so I forgot about that. Appreciate you!

Joyce thanks so much for the clarification. Both of you opened my eyes to new things to check for in the future. Also on a side not, so I can upgrade from what I got to pre-release by following the developer doc instructions?