An autorun event (for a cutscene) is only working for one player

SarcasticSloth24

Question

Hi everyone! I want to thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

I have a really fun game coming along, and I currently have about a dozen people helping me test it out. As part of the game, there are boss fights that are balanced for between 3 and 4 people working as a team. (So, a single party.)

What I am trying to do is have an event (in this case an ancient pillar) that activates a global switch called 'Boss 1 Cinematic.' When that switch turns on, there is an on-map event called 'Cinematic 1' that is supposed to play. And it does. It warps players to the center of the map, and causes an event shaped like the boss to talk to them. But, once the cinematic is over, the players are supposed to be released so that they can fight the boss. However, only the player who activated the ancient pillar is released, the others are held in place and become cannon fodder for the boss. It was kind of funny watching that happen with my testers, but obviously we don't want that to be what actually happens.

Also, when the boss is defeated, it activates the second Cinematic switch, which activates another event. This event allows the dying boss to share some last words, and is also supposed to reward everyone on the map with some fancy loot. Once again, only the player who kills the boss is recieving the loot and being released, the other players are held in place indefinitely.

So my question is: Why is this autorun event only working properly for 1 player? How can I make it where it fully affects all the players on the map?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will clarify anything that needs clarified. I have also attached snapshots of my events so that you can see exactly what they do.

Thank you.

An overview of the map:

Spoiler

a1c9e2d1c5274510681e3c4730f26b37.jpg

The Ancient Pillar Event:

Spoiler

749ff560df75d3124e4f7e9fb01302c1.jpg

The first cinematic:

Spoiler

fc06befb2aa093c5c039df7072c19146.jpg

Second Cinematic. (Two pictures to show the whole thing):

Spoiler

eb781997d4b40504843ad5cc01504972.jpg87410b0a80984c6ac90199b80ccaed91.jpg

The event that plays on the boss's death and the boss NPC settings.

Spoiler

a14d921c7bc190deea80f4ef0ae812ef.jpg8c35d785e7177dce0494e20a404297d6.jpg

10 answers to this question

The only thing I see that may be effecting the other players is that their is a conditional branch for 'Cinematic2'  to be on a certain map, then the players are warped to a new map, then the hold is released. (Maybe adding a new conditional branch for the new map may help)
Could also be that the initial event is triggered by 'Action Button'.

Im not that great with events, just trying to help.

18 minutes ago, CosakiGames said:

The only thing I see that may be effecting the other players is that their is a conditional branch for 'Cinematic2'  to be on a certain map, then the players are warped to a new map, then the hold is released. (Maybe adding a new conditional branch for the new map may help)
Could also be that the initial event is triggered by 'Action Button'.

Im not that great with events, just trying to help.

Those are some good thoughts, thanks. The players actually warp to the center of the same map that all these events are on. So while they warp, they don't actually change maps. Still, if the game thinks that they are changing maps, maybe that affects things.

I'll try doing a conditional branch after they warp, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas.

@SarcasticSloth24 when i saw your question i was in my bed, i got up and came to the computer to try to see better and answer you [and also use google translator for a long text]

From what I saw, connecting the global variable interacting with the pillar is right. Global variables are for everyone. Your conditional branch is not wrong. You want the cutscene to happen to everyone on that map, that's fine with me, because it wouldn't happen to everyone who's playing. You have to understand something. Map events will run on the map they are on, regardless of whether they are marked with the '' global '' box. Hence the name '' map events ''. From what I've seen, an autorun map event is also able to target adjacent maps.

There is something else about the events as well. Apparently for 1 player to activate an event and another event to start,
an intermediate transition event must be passed. For some reason, it is necessary, otherwise events behave differently than we expect.
Stays like this
1 - Event that activates the event and turns on the variable
2 - Autorun event that links another variable
3 - Autorun event that has this second variable condition

Without event 2, 3 may not work as you imagine.

This is not even the strangest thing that makes events behave strangely. I already saw the event crash because I removed 1 '' wait '' command. So get used to things like that. hahah

Continuing ... I recommend that you try to make these changes to get started and see if things work differently. Use a global int variable.
Event 1 - I set the global variable to 1
Autorun Event 2 - Set to 2
Autorun event 3 - runs the cutscene, if the global variable is 2.

If it works fine. If not, I recommend using common events, this is how I do my cutscenes, common events are better to manage and always affect all players.
The pillar map event sets the variable event to 1
And the common autorun event, runs the cutscene.
If it doesn't work, then also, transition event.

Any of these things can work

Finally, you don't have to redo everything at the common event. Just copy the branch conditional [the whole cutscene is inside the conditional], and then paste in the common event, and check if everything is ok. I hope this helps.

Looks good, especially the trick to set a global variable combined with the condition to affect only players which are on the map should ensure the event is not only playing for the player who activated the button. You only have to remember to reset the global switch after the boss fight for other parties.

In my opinion, your problem could be caused by 

Warp Player [Map: Goblin King's Dungeon.........]

The player who activated the switch should be warped there, allright, but afterwards the destination is blocked for the following players. Intersect should be smart enough to warp the players as close as possible, but probably the event's player control afterwards is broken, so the players won't be released from the hold (and don't get the loot in the second cinematic).

Also, in all 3 events you have the Interaction Freeze box checked, shouldn't that be enought to stop the players from moving?

;)

@Weylon Santana Thanks for such an in-depth analysis! I am currently trying out what you said and will post again with the results. I've just been a little busy lately.

@Uranochos Thanks for the ideas. It's possible that wapring the players to the same location causes problems, but I have used different events to warp an entire party to the same location and it worked just fine. So I think it is something else, but I don't know. I could be mistaken, but I thought that 'Interaction Freeze' referred to the event, not the player. My understanding is that it keeps the event from moving around when the player is talking/interacting with it.

@SarcasticSloth24 You are right regarding Interaction Freeze.

I have always been using text and pictures in the center of the screen, so as long as I do not click, nobody moves.

-If you made similar events that work fine, then what did you do differently this time?

@Uranochos The similar event was a teleport party spell. It would summon an NPC that looked like a swirling portal. When destroyed, the NPC's dying event would warp anyone in the party to a certain city. It was a cool concept, but I didn't keep it in my game. So there are a variety of differences between that old event and the one I am working on now, I just don't see it being a problem that players warp to the same location. It seems more like the Hold Player command runs for everyone, but the Release Player command isn't.

Messing with the events i found that adding a Textbox Text (the box that appears on screen, not the players chatbox) seems to 'release' players even during an event hold.
Maybe this can be a work around?