Song looping problems of multiple varieties

PrincessNoodlelimbs

Question

Hey folks. First time poster. Very glad to be here - I have really enjoyed working with Intersect. But I've had repeated problems with the music looping.

Edit: Forgot to mention this before but my OS is Windows 10, 64-bit.

I started making my game in Beta 5. I'm an electronic musician, so I'm very familiar with how to cut songs to loop seamlessly - not a new area for me. I've been writing all the music for my game so far, and throughout my use of Beta 5, there was only one problem with looping. Like I said, in any audio editor or player my song files loop seamlessly, including tail wraps, but the game had always added a little jog (a few hundred milliseconds) of silence after the end before starting the songs over. Whatever - annoying, but doesn't destroy the game. Never figured out what's up with that, because it's not the files themselves.

But I upgraded to version 6 Build 147, and now I'm having a new problem that's a lot worse. It wasn't doing this before version 6. I haven't changed anything about the levels OR the song files those levels are using, but now several levels in my game are looping the BGM's at the first or second -beat-. Very short, if seamless, 1 and 2 second loops of the first couple beats of the song. All the songs having this problem are 80 BPM, 1:36 in length, but that is the only consistent factor I can find, and there's another song in the game's files that is 80 BPM and 1:36 in length, but doesn't display this problem.

The songs having this problem seem like they're being "auto-looped" in different places depending on the rhythm of the bassline/drums, which is interesting considering they're all the same length and tempo. This really feels to me like the game is trying to determine its own loop points and failing. As to why it does this with some song files and not others, I have no clue. The loops have decent rhythm, but they're only 2 seconds long, out of a total of 1:36.

Details of the behavior of the problem: Starting the game client and logging in (when the player's last location was the level having the issue) will fix the BGM for that level, if it's one of the ones having the problem. It will not show the problem again until the player leaves the level, logs out, logs back in, and then re-enters the level that had the problem. If the player logs in while inside a level not having the issue, then goes to the level that is, it will always play wrong until the player logs in while they're inside the problem level.

Furthermore - initially only two songs were showing this problem. When I removed them from the game's 'music' folder and set their levels to have no music, a third song started having that problem. When I removed that one, no other songs could be made to do the wrong-loop thing. Rendering NEW song files, with different file names, didn't help - the game wrong-looped them at the same points as before. When I tried rendering the song files -without- cutting them to loop seamlessly (leaving the remainder, so the song stops playing and all the echoes fade out) the problem stopped. When I did this, the song plays til all sounds fade out, then starts back up abruptly at the beginning. It plays all the way through, but now it loops like garbage and is far from seamless. UPDATE: I was wrong. On restarting, now even the songs with the tail-ends left on are doing the quick-loop thing.

Right now, I believe that's all I know about this issue. Any insight into how the game does this - whether it is indeed trying to determine its own loop points and whether that can be turned on or off, or how it can be fixed - would be greatly appreciated. If I can clarify any of what's happening here, let me know and I will try. Very much appreciate the time and attention to this in advance.

5 answers to this question

I'm away on vacation right now, hoping to get back into dev in the very near future.

Keeping in mind that I am not available at the moment to test anything having the following will help a lot when I become available:

• Audio recordings (or video) of the expected behavior vs actual
    • I'm guessing the 'bad' behavior is very obvious to those who are not musicians but it would be nice to know what you're hearing so we can know if we are accurately recreating the problem

• The audio files you're trying to use.
    • They can be PM'd to me if you're uncomfortable sharing on the forum but they will be critical in making sure this can be resolved.

Also, this is technically a bug report, and this post will get lost with the thousands of other posts here.. if you can duplicate your notes above to a bug report we will remember to look into and fix it:

https://tracker.freemmorpgmaker.com

We have other people with audio/music issues being reported like:

https://tracker.freemmorpgmaker.com/jcsnider/Intersect-Engine/issues/89

Hopefully fixing this will resolve those as well. Hopefully it is something that we can easily fix and isn't a MonoGame issue at the core.

Hey, thanks very much for replying so quickly on this. I appreciate you doing that while you're on vacation too, you really didn't have to!

I'll go ahead and create a bug report on the tracker, gather the audio files and take a video or two. With any luck something in there will make it easier to figure out what's going on, and maybe fix what's happening for the other users.

Enjoy your time off!

I second that.

Didn't have this problem with beta 4 and 5, now had to rebuild due to the change of graphics tiles and having the same problem with beta 6.1247: after player death and warp to respawn point, BGM fades or stutters and stops. When the toon is approaching the spot where it was killed, the BGM gets louder again (louder than before). Next time killed, this repeats and music is getting even louder. All my BGM tracks are .oggs I used in beta 4 without problems.