Trying to put INtersect Server on my VPS.

Breadcrumbs

Question

Trying to get the server to run on my VPS so that I can host it there and that I can run the client on my main PC/others can connect using their clients but absolutely nothing's working; it's not even working to try connecting from someone else' PC to my home PC.

I'm running 2012 Virmach Windows VPS server, I've changed inbound rules to allow 5400 port, and I've tried to run No IP dns using my VPS' IP as the redirect, but nothing seems to be working.

I need help on this please. I have a budget of $0 at the moment as I've spent it on getting my virmach server, so I can't get JC's host if I wanted to.

I don't know what I"m doing wrong or how any of this works and it's driving me crazy.

6 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Breadcrumbs said:

I don't know what I"m doing wrong or how any of this works and it's driving me crazy.

I'm really sorry, but if you don't know what youre doing never rent a unmanaged server. Its a huge security risk, not only for you.

You don't need any "No IP dns", since thats only for when youre hosting from your home connection, because your IP address changes. Your server should have a fixed IP. You can do that, so you can update the IP adress in the hostname later so you can change servers without having to change the client, but it is not required.

There shouldn't be much more to do than starting the server on the VPS, making sure the firewall is allowing the connection and changing the client config.xml line

<Host>localhost</Host>

to your servers IP adress

44 minutes ago, eins said:

I'm really sorry, but if you don't know what youre doing never rent a unmanaged server. Its a huge security risk, not only for you.

You don't need any "No IP dns", since thats only for when youre hosting from your home connection, because your IP address changes. Your server should have a fixed IP. You can do that, so you can update the IP adress in the hostname later so you can change servers without having to change the client, but it is not required.

There shouldn't be much more to do than starting the server on the VPS, making sure the firewall is allowing the connection and changing the client config.xml line

<Host>localhost</Host>

to your servers IP adress

The reason I have it as that is so people don't view the host address and view a host name instead. Looks cleaner.

And it's more so I don't know what I'm doing *wrong* because generally this has worked for me in the past doing it the same way. Keep getting a message regarding Universal Plug n Play.

1 hour ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

If you dont know what you are doing I would recommend something simple to resolve your IP issue like NoIP. Easy to use and keeps your IPs hidden.

That's some senseless and wrong advice...

1. He already said he tried using NoIP

2. How should that even help with his problem?

3. You can always look up the IP address behind a domain name. Thats how the whole domain name system works. There is no way to hide your IP via NoIP or any other domain. The domain is just a alias for an IP address, and its public.

There is even a build in tool in pretty much any operating system to query DNS. For Windows open your command line, and type in "nslookup ascensiongamedev.com" (or any other domain), and you get the corresponding IP address.

NoIp thrives in an environment where your IP address isn’t static. If you’re gonna be changing servers a lot it can also be beneficial so that you don’t have to send out updates when the underlying ip changes. It’s also fine to want your config file to look “cleaner” but I don’t know if that justifies using the service alone. 

Cut NoIP out of the equation entirely and make sure connecting via IP works at the very least, then you can rule out firewalls and other server configuration mistakes.

You’re obviously going to get a UPNP error because there is no router, and that’s fine, just ignore the UPnP message. There’s a chance your game might be online and you don’t even know it.