Common Event "Set Move Route" Support

Shilo

Question

Currently (beta 4) there is no support for "Set Move Route" for common events. It gives a warning saying "Cannot use this command in common events.".

I understand why common events don't directly support move routes, because they aren't attached to an entity. But I think this greatly limits the flexibility of common events. Also, I believe that common events should allow move routes that can change the move route of the player or the delegate/callee/parent event.

From personal experience, I already ran into a situation where I wasn't able to add a simple common event just to change the move route of the player itself, and it added a lot more workflow just to create a simple event to multiple tiles. I'm sure the code is a lot more complicated then I may think, but in theory, I believe it should be possible to change the move route of the delegate/callee/parent event entity or the player entity. I believe you could also make it so that the move route command is ignored if there's no player or parent event attached to it (AKA being called from a /command, so forth).

Is there any plans to allow "Set Move Route" for common events, for both the delegate/callee/parent event entity and the player entity? Furthermore, it'd be nice to be able to create any type of event and be able to re-use it on other tiles (which in my eyes is the design of common events).

(I've never used the Bug Tracker for suggestions, but I can move this topic to suggestions if thats best)

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

There are already dash spells in the spell editor. If you really want to do move routes you should have an invisible event on the specific map that autoruns with a condition. I really don't see much point to this request as its bad practice to have move routes to a player if you dont know where they will be when the common event is triggered. Due to the nature of how common events work and are integrated it would probably take a lot of time for somthing so niche and bad practice. If you really want this wait until source as I cannot validate the reason to add it to our list of things to do which ultimately just delays source even more at this point.

Myself and @jcsnider are deliberately not implementing features unless they are a necessity at this point in time otherwise we'll still be saying "source out soon tm" in 2030. (One of the many reasons why it keeps taking so long in the first place)

Continued:
Since common events are the only way to do item based events, it would also be very useful to utilize "Set Move Route" to move the player.

Examples of usage:

- A dance skill that rotates the player in a 360
- A dash skill that walks the character forward a few steps (of course to be useful, it would have to change the movement speed of the character too)

I'm sure there's other ways to utilize Move Routes for items to move the player itself. I'd really like to see this implemented and I hope its planned for beta 5!