Jump to content
  • 0

Can Intersect run on a NAS ?


faller-magie

Question

Hi hi,

I was curious to know if it was possible to run Intersect on a NAS... for Intersect Server, Updater and Launcher. 

And if later maybe, adding PHP/MySQL support for id authentification and interaction with data (virtual money for exemple) via website.

I know, this is too much but i'm thinking about that possibility and curious to know if that is compatible. :31_neutral_face: (i don't have a NAS)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
6 minutes ago, faller-magie said:

 

Thanks for the tips @jcsnider. I was looking for a Synology

DS218+ (intel Celeron J3355 dual core 2.5 Ghz , 64 bit, 2 GB or RAM DDR3L, 4 or 8 TB of space separately)

V.S

DS218j (marvell armada 385 dual core 1.3 Ghz, 32 bit, 512 MB of RAM DDR3, same amount of space) 

 

 

The Synology devices do run a custom version of Linux they compile themselves I can’t guarantee that you’d be able to get Intersect or MySQL running on one of those devices. 

 

Furthermore, as expected with a NAS device, the processors and ram allocations are really low/weak. You definitely could not run MySQL + Intersect + the NAS software with 512mb of ram and probably not with 2gb. 

 

I don’t think that it’d be feasible to attempt hosting a game off of these devices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I don't own a NAS so I can't say for sure on that first point. A more reliable and affordable option would be to run Intersect on a VPS. Having used these in the past for titles with larger connection requests at the same time (at one point a game of ours had 5000+ connection requests, and the VPS we were running on did just fine with it) I can safely say you will be able to use a VPS or for Intersect.

 

Some of the work being done on Intersect right now will actually allow website integration to your Game Server's database. Virtual money and the like will be extremely viable, if you have the knowledge required to set it up.

 

Hopefully I've answered these questions decently enough. If I haven't, let us know and we can work out a solution for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thank you for the answer @SkywardRiver, didnt know that it was possible to put some integration to the game server database that's good to know at least for me !

 

For VPS, i'm not so sure because in my intersect project goals, i don't aim to have a big host connection capability for now. But yeah, this solution is interesting to give a try too. 

 

I was just curious to know. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 minutes ago, faller-magie said:

Thank you for the answer @SkywardRiver, didnt know that it was possible to put some integration to the game server database that's good to know at least for me !

 

For VPS, i'm not so sure because in my intersect project goals, i don't aim to have a big host connection capability for now. But yeah, this solution is interesting to give a try too. 

 

I was just curious to know. :)

You can get VPSes for as low as $5/mo, they won't have a lot in the resources department for a server, but it won't be terrible. You could look at @jcsnider's hosting solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

It depends on the NAS system. 

 

Some people take a Linux server, add tons of hard drives, install a specific distro and call their server a NAS. Those types of machines could probably run Intersect via mono, a MySQL database, and anything else you might need. 

 

If you get a NAS device that’s only capable of the basic file storage/retrieval with a proprietary os in which you don’t have a shell and can’t run your own software than you’d be out of luck. 

 

Furthermore, in my limited experience NAS systems have a good network connection and lots of storage space but generally have low end/slow processors. For most games this won’t be a problem but if you’re aiming to have a professional game with lots of players online then you’ll ultimately want a server with a really good processor. (The amount of storage won’t really matter for an Intersect game.)

 

As @SkywardRiver and @panda have already mentioned VPSs are generally the way to go for these sorts of games. That being said, if you provide the specs to the NAS you’re looking into we might be able to give you a much better response. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, jcsnider said:

As @SkywardRiver and @panda have already mentioned VPSs are generally the way to go for these sorts of games. That being said, if you provide the specs to the NAS you’re looking into we might be able to give you a much better response. 

 

Thanks for the tips @jcsnider. I was looking for a Synology

DS218+ (intel Celeron J3355 dual core 2.5 Ghz , 64 bit, 2 GB or RAM DDR3L, 4 or 8 TB of space separately)

V.S

DS218j (marvell armada 385 dual core 1.3 Ghz, 32 bit, 512 MB of RAM DDR3, same amount of space) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

The Synology devices do run a custom version of Linux they compile themselves I can’t guarantee that you’d be able to get Intersect or MySQL running on one of those devices. 

 

Furthermore, as expected with a NAS device, the processors and ram allocations are really low/weak. You definitely could not run MySQL + Intersect + the NAS software with 512mb of ram and probably not with 2gb. 

 

I don’t think that it’d be feasible to attempt hosting a game off of these devices. 

 

So, i suppose that from your point, this is no, i think. :7_sweat_smile:

Also, this pretty much explain why this is possible to run intersect on PC or with a VPS rather than a cloud or a nas. 

Is 4gb enough to survive for 20 players online for exemple ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...