Riddle/Easter Egg based ORPG

pLeet

I was thinking of a new kind of game to do with the Intersect engine. Instead of creating a standard ORPG game, where the player follow a story, build up his character by farming and looting monsters, doings quests and so one, I wanted to create a riddle game, where players should search hidden informations and solve puzzle scattered around the map in order to improve their character, and even the map itself (growing cities, etc). Just like hidden easter eggs, those informations will be hard to find, but not impossible. Players will have to be pretty inventive to find it, decrypt it, and solve the puzzle linked to it.

As a fan of easter egg hunting, I find this idea pretty unique and entertaining, specially with this engine, yet I'm concerned about one thing: players might loose interest pretty fast. I mean, the sole goal of this project will be to solve every puzzle / find every easter eggs, and most of them will be very hard to find. So I need your opinion on this idea. Would you play such game ? What would you do to keep players interested in it ? 

I'm pleased to see someone liking this idea! 

At first I taught the same, but even in a single player game, people can look at walk-through on YouTube or similar. If they wanna "cheat", they'll succeed, no matter if it's an online game or not. 

I wanted to keep the online part of the game to keep interaction between players.

17 minutes ago, pLeet said:

I'm pleased to see someone liking this idea! 

At first I taught the same, but even in a single player game, people can look at walk-through on YouTube or similar. If they wanna "cheat", they'll succeed, no matter if it's an online game or not. 

I wanted to keep the online part of the game to keep interaction between players.

That is true, but offline there is a lot less incentive to cheat since you can't compare yourself to other players. 

If there is a way to get ahead online, people will use that, it's not about the game, it's about being the best. 

Offline, of course it is possible to cheat, but the only one who is affected is the cheater, so the player will be less inclined to cheat. 

It would be cool if the players were able to influence the world and change the riddles or make their own, then you have a cool game going!

If you make the puzzles require enough skill, even a walkthrough will probably difficult for most people. I'd say its a cool idea, but not my type of game. It sounds cool though, and I know alot people that like hidden object type games, an online presence might be really cool. I think @Damian666 likes hidden object games? Perhaps its something he'd like.