Common events again

Khaikaa

Question

Ok, I'm having problems again with this issue. I want events to do things to everyone on the server(or, at least, the online ones), such as changing some player's switches/variables, teleporting...

Some time ago I talked about the problems I was having, but now I saw a pattern of behavior. I recorded 2 of them on video so you all can see them, 1 doing strange things and 1 working just fine. What is happening?

These are the events I'm using:

The global event

Spoiler

global.thumb.png.7f308b84f5921f80da94d8987bd6bb4b.png

The common event

Spoiler

common.thumb.png.7f513c793260d716fd41758306e03b04.png

Anyone knows why is this happening and how coul I make events working fine no matters who and how much consecutive times triggers it?

12 answers to this question

2 hours ago, jcsnider said:

Nah I have a better idea.  No matter how your current setup is designed it is still flawed due to timing and how the event system works at it's core.

Instead, try this:

Keep your global switch exactly how it is.

Make a player switch called "Should run event: [event name here]"

Make a common event with an autorun trigger. The event will set the player switch to true. This common event should have a condition so that it only runs when the global switch is true.

Make another common event with an autorun trigger.  The condition for this event running is that the player switch is true.  This common event will do your stuff and eventually turn the player switch off.

Finally, change the map npc. It should turn the global switch on, wait 500ms, turn the global switch off.

I think that will work. Let me know.

In fact this actually worked. What a shame that I didn't realize before. Thank you.

Oh, I didn't realize you wanted it to show for both players. Either way, I don't know a way around this, I think it might be a bug actually.

Also, not sure why you'd want to do this in the first place. By having this happen, everyone in the game will have the text pop-up.

Only (kind of) fix I can think of is to only allow the event to play the common event once. It seems to work first time just fine for the first time. Only after that it seems to trip up.

The text message event is just an example, what I need to do is some events which filter players by their player switches & variables and then make things with them, such as teleporting them, managing their switches/variables... etc

Nope, it's not a bug with text but a event triggering bug. I just tried it changing the text message for the exp giving, and works exactly the same, not working when using the events as you said and working with the same patterns when using the events as I said. Yes, this definitelly is a event triggering bug, I'll report them on the bug section. Hope they can fix this.

11 hours ago, jcsnider said:

@Khaikaa: How about removing the "Start Common Event" line in the first image.  That should work.

When removing that line the event only triggers right the first time, then it only triggers on the player who turns the global switch on. I can record that on video too if you want.

11 hours ago, jcsnider said:

What if you remove that line, and then wait 5 seconds before triggering it again?

It doesn't work. If you want I'll record it in more situations so you can see exactly what is happening.

Nah I have a better idea.  No matter how your current setup is designed it is still flawed due to timing and how the event system works at it's core.

Instead, try this:

Keep your global switch exactly how it is.

Make a player switch called "Should run event: [event name here]"

Make a common event with an autorun trigger. The event will set the player switch to true. This common event should have a condition so that it only runs when the global switch is true.

Make another common event with an autorun trigger.  The condition for this event running is that the player switch is true.  This common event will do your stuff and eventually turn the player switch off.

Finally, change the map npc. It should turn the global switch on, wait 500ms, turn the global switch off.

I think that will work. Let me know.