New Here - Some questions Regarding Engine

RandemGamor

Question

Hello :)

So I'm new here and I've had a good toy around with the Intersect Engine so far and I really like it !

There's a couple of cons though I'd like to be able to sort, even if I have to edit the source code :) (I'm a C# amature but I'll try!)

So firstly...
Map Size: It's very small :(
I understand the reason is because of FPS lag but surely if the screen area is smaller (Maybe fixed to a certain resolution) with the ability to full screen..
Then that should help any FPS issues?
Is there a way to force the game to launch with the GPU (If it doesn't already?)

So I'd like to know if there's an easy way to change the current map size to something bigger please?
Also, what issues are going to occur if I do?

I've tried editing it in the config.xml and then the server wont launch at all (gets errors)

Secondly...
Experience system.

From way back when I did even my simple Flash based RPG I realised a straight forward % based increase on experience wasn't good.
Reason being is at low levels there's not much difference between EXP hence making it too easy, high levels numbers get ridiculously high :)

So is there a way I can set EXP to raise on either;
a) A formula (Preferbly in the formula.xml)
or... in it's own .ini / script file?
Where I can write out Level 1 = 100
Level 2 = 250
etc...
Then it'll use that instead for determing the exp TNL?

Few other questions / things I'd like to know please :)

Account List? - Is there a way to see a list of accounts?
Permissions - There's currently moderator and admin.
What do these permissions do?
Is there a way to add custom permissions?

Maps / items, etc where are all these kept?
I have someone helping with the game but I'd much prefer them create maps/items then send to me to add to the game rather than giving them access to the main game.

I think that's it for now :) If there's anything else I need I'll add it to this thread :D

Many Thanks,
Randem Gamor.

7 answers to this question

I'll try to answer this as best I can:

• Map Sizes: You can connect maps by double clicking next to them in the editor, this will make them appear as one seamless map to the client. :)So there's little to no need to mess with the actual size values (which are explicitly chosen for GPU performance reasons, any larger may cause issues as it's rendered as a singule texture)
    If you do want to change the size of individual maps, you'll need to delete your game's database or erase all the existing maps before it will work.
  • Experience: This, along with HP/MP scaling I would like to see in formulas.xml as well. But it is currently not implemented I believe.
  • Account List: You'll have to open the database file in an SQLite viewer or write a tool to read the database for that I'm afraid, no more flat files.
  • Permissions: If that's not clarified over Here yet then I doubt there's much documentation to be found on that I'm afraid.
  • Storage: Everything is stored in the database file kept in the server's resource folder. Unless you're highly knowledgable in using and merging SQL databases I would really not recommend you tamper with that or try to insert data from outside sources. So aside from giving them the regular editor, there's no real way to get them to help with your edits. If you don't trust someone, don't give them access. :P

Maybe someone else can clarify on things a little more, I'm currently working so I can't really fire up my server machine to see!

Hello RandemGamor !

5 minutes ago, RandemGamor said:

So I'd like to know if there's an easy way to change the current map size to something bigger please?

4 minutes ago, RandemGamor said:

Map Size: It's very small

Are you aware that each map (32 case lenght * 26 case height) can be linked together to make one bigger map with no loading in between them ? So you can virtually create a map as big as you want !

8 minutes ago, RandemGamor said:

Is there a way to force the game to launch with the GPU (If it doesn't already?)

I don't know if it's possible or currently the case, but I assume so.

14 minutes ago, RandemGamor said:

is there a way I can set EXP

I think I've seen a topic about that on the forum, I let you search for it !

15 minutes ago, RandemGamor said:

Account List? - Is there a way to see a list of accounts?

15 minutes ago, RandemGamor said:

Maps / items, etc where are all these kept?

All informations are stored in a SQLite database in Server\resource\intersect.db. You can use a free and very powerfull software called SQLiteDatabaseBrower to open or modify (I don't recommand it at first if you're not familiar with the engine yet) all tables of the engine. Hint : accounts are in table "user".

Good luck for your project, I hope my answers helped you in your making ;)

19 minutes ago, Joyce said:

I'll try to answer this as best I can:

• Map Sizes: You can connect maps by double clicking next to them in the editor, this will make them appear as one seamless map to the client. :)So there's little to no need to mess with the actual size values (which are explicitly chosen for GPU performance reasons, any larger may cause issues as it's rendered as a singule texture)
    If you do want to change the size of individual maps, you'll need to delete your game's database or erase all the existing maps before it will work.
  • Experience: This, along with HP/MP scaling I would like to see in formulas.xml as well. But it is currently not implemented I believe.
  • Account List: You'll have to open the database file in an SQLite viewer or write a tool to read the database for that I'm afraid, no more flat files.
  • Permissions: If that's not clarified over Here yet then I doubt there's much documentation to be found on that I'm afraid.
  • Storage: Everything is stored in the database file kept in the server's resource folder. Unless you're highly knowledgable in using and merging SQL databases I would really not recommend you tamper with that or try to insert data from outside sources. So aside from giving them the regular editor, there's no real way to get them to help with your edits. If you don't trust someone, don't give them access. :P

Maybe someone else can clarify on things a little more, I'm currently working so I can't really fire up my server machine to see!

Hi :)
Thanks for getting back so quickly ! I really appreciate it.

I wasn't aware that I could link maps like this, I thought they had to be done via warps :)
So that's really awesome thank you ! I'll have a go at linking them :D

Yeah it would be nice to be able to formulate EXP better :D I might have to drop this in the suggestions.

With the account list, I'll get SQLite and open the database thanks !

Permissions, I've saved that URL I'll have a read through thanks :) It would be nice to know what each perm does if it's not there and the ability to create extra permissions. - Again might have to suggest something if I feel it would be beneficial to folks :)

Storage: That's something I wouldn't know how to do (Merging) sadly...
I guess it comes down to the permissions thing...
I'd like for example to be able to give someone permission just to make maps...
or just to make items... not edit existing ones etc...

The thing is it's trusting people not to tweak or add something in for their self-gain inside the game when it goes public...
I don't have anyone irl that would help that I trust... so it's trusting people on the internet.

It would be nice to have help though :) This is something I'll have to work around :D

Thank again for the reply and help much appreciated !
RG :)

14 minutes ago, pLeet said:

Hello RandemGamor !

Are you aware that each map (32 case lenght * 26 case height) can be linked together to make one bigger map with no loading in between them ? So you can virtually create a map as big as you want !

I don't know if it's possible or currently the case, but I assume so.

I think I've seen a topic about that on the forum, I let you search for it !

All informations are stored in a SQLite database in Server\resource\intersect.db. You can use a free and very powerfull software called SQLiteDatabaseBrower to open or modify (I don't recommand it at first if you're not familiar with the engine yet) all tables of the engine. Hint : accounts are in table "user".

Good luck for your project, I hope my answers helped you in your making ;)

Hi pLeet !

I wasn't aware that these could be linked into a seamless map nope :) That's awesome ! Thank You !

In regards to launching with GPU, I'm guessing as it's got VSync it might already :) I'll have a look around with that :D But it shouldn't be an issue now as I wont have a need to make maps bigger because of the linking.
I was jumping ahead thinking if bigger maps = FPS lag, launching with GPU should essentially help :D
But that's no longer a need, for now :)

I'll have a search for the EXP thing, the only way I know currently is to set it via the class editor for % based :)
Which is not what I want :D I want a formula or the ability to set EXP TNL for each level :D
I'll have a search if I can't find it I'll let you know :)
Thanks !

I'll get that SQLiteDBBrowser thanks ! :)

You've definitely helped me, thanks again.
Much appreciated.

Cheers,
RG.

2 hours ago, jcsnider said:

For anyone else that ends up here and would like to know more about resizing maps (which isnt required due to our seamless system :) )

https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/community/topic/666-faq-how-can-i-change-map-sizes/

Awesome thanks ! :) The seamless system is awesome though !

2 hours ago, jcsnider said:

I like the idea of pulling out HP/MP/EXP scaling into the formulas xml file.... might get tricky since it's also per-class. We will see what we can do :) 

Hmmh...
What if... (Ideas for now)
For each class created, we could have a .xml file generate for that?
So for example I create a class called "Warrior"
It'll then generate automatically (or via the press of a button) or even have an option in the EXP part to either use the % based system or a config.
Upon selecting config then it'll generate/make a .xml config for that class. For example "Warrior.xml"
Inside there have the option maybe..
exp_formula = true/false
exp_Table = true/false
If exp_formula = true
Then it'll read off a formula we can write into the config.
IF exp_table = true
it'll read off a table we can write into the config.
For example.
Level 1 = 100
Level 2 = 250
Level 3 = 500
Level 4 = 1000
And so on...
Only issue there would be if players put both to try.
Would need an if both = true, then do nothing so it didn't use both :D

I know basic logic of coding, just not how to actually code properly ! LOL :)

Also it would be nice to have scripting support much later on :D
So we can sad-script functions.

Also the ability to create variables in a config file and reference those.
For example when I made my exp system before I used a variable in that called "ePool"

and that was critical to my formula calculations :D

Cheers,
RG.