Event Priority

Weylon Santana

Question

9 answers to this question

I think the better way to do this, is to make only one page and to make your order .

Differents pages are only usefull to put differents graphics on a same event, so it's bad to have two page who can be logically correct at the same time :) 

I don't think you absolutely need 2 pages for your event no? A conditionnal branch seems to be enough in your case?

But for your question : it's Page 2

41 minutes ago, Abyss said:

I think the better way to do this, is to make only one page and to make your order .

Differents pages are only usefull to put differents graphics on a same event, so it's bad to have two page who can be logically correct at the same time :) 

I don't think you absolutely need 2 pages for your event no? A conditionnal branch seems to be enough in your case?

But for your question : it's Page 2

I was thinking of npc shop, for example, to be a npc shop the page will check if "global switch shop" is on (always be on). Then it will be a shop.
But if a certain switch on a mission is on, and the player has to talk to that npc shop, then it will check on another page if the player's switch (which in this case is the mission's) is on and then execute the dialog and not open the shop. You see?

So that why I needed to know what the priority given to the event would be. Considering that both are correct.

The utility of a Switch is to be turn on/off, so if it's always "on" why do a switch for this?

Just do :

Conditional branch : if (Player Switch is true) then 

-execute dialog/complete task of your mission or whatever

-Set false the switch (if you don't there is no possibility to open the shop since the witch is turn on)

else 

-open the shop

end if

A better solution is to use a quest task for your mission and not a switch !

1- Do your quest , and put a "event task"  (in this exemple the Quest name is "Shopping" and it's the task number one)

2- For your NPC shop make : 

if (player task in quest Shopping is 1) then 

-execute dialog

-complete task or quest

else 

-open the shop

end if

And you don't use switch, it's just a part of your quest to talk to this npc shop :) 

23 minutes ago, Abyss said:

The utility of a Switch is to be turn on/off, so if it's always "on" why do a switch for this?

Just do :

Conditional branch : if (Player Switch is true) then 

-execute dialog/complete task of your mission or whatever

-Set false the switch (if you don't there is no possibility to open the shop since the witch is turn on)

else 

-open the shop

end if

The switch that will always be on will be global. Why these or are always on or always off, and can be changed only via editor causing changes in the game. While the player's hour switch turns on and off, depending on the quest. I have enough practice with switches. I just needed to know the priority of the event, whether for the global switch or for the switch of the player if both are correct.

I thought it might cause a strange bug if both were correct. The global switch page and the player switch page. Do you understand what I mean?

I'll give you the situation I figured out.
I will create several global switches that I will activate as I need them. However others will always be activated (such as the shop switch where the event will behave like a shop), but in these same shops, there will be other pages assigned to the mission that will check if the player is in a certain task of a certain mission (in the same way that they will check if the global switch is activated to behave like a shop.). you see?

If the global switch is on, it will behave like a shop.
If you are on a mission, it will behave as a dialogue.
Both situations are correct.
But I imagine the event will give priority to run only one. I needed to know this.
Whether the event will run the dialog or the shop. Since the switches of the players will always be turn off after the mission ends, which in logic the event would return to behave as a shop for the player who finished the mission.
That's basically my question.

I could just do the test in the editor, but I put my doubts here so that other people can see and have their doubts healed. As well as also draw people's attention to issues like this that often for them happens as a bug, when it is not.

Can you understand my situation now?
PS:I still want the answer to the question hahahaha

PS2: Just for the record, I really liked your ideas.

Yep i did some test and it's the highest numbered page :)

By the way, I'm still confuse about the use of a global event for a "always on" switch, and as I said there is no need to do two pages for this.

You can do a conditionnal in a conditionnal and check all the differents case for the user!