Is there a way to keep game assets from getting stolen?

NightPotato

Question

4 answers to this question

The thread above is one of many discussions on this subject. You can absolutely utilize some sort of encryption when source is available, but there will always be a chance that people will access your files, regardless. Read through some of the treads on this forum about encryption and maintaining proper ownership of intellectual property for a long answer...

Short answer - yes you can protect it, there will almost always be a way that people can get access to your files if they really want them, regardless, but game development is so inherently  difficult and more than the sum of its parts that it shouldn't keep you up at night if someone takes your art and attempts to make a game of it. tl;dr: If you wanted to steal an artist's painting, you'd need to do more than just swipe their paints. ;)

Encryption will stop any happy go lucky "game dev" that wants to rip your graphics to use them in some half-ass project. Life Forge ORPG uses a very powerful encryption system, and 3 members from AGD alone were able to get access to our graphics when they set their minds to it. However, these members are far more advanced and competent than the mentioned "happy-go-lucky". The end result? You'll never be able to 100% protect your graphics. You WILL be able to stop most everyone stupid enough to try and steal your graphics and get away with it.

Your post is a bit unclear but encryption is the way to go here, if in intersect waiting till the source is out is likely the best option and if in unreal then I believe there are already guides on encrypting the game files. 

1 minute ago, PhenomenalChicken said:

Your post is a bit unclear but encryption is the way to go here, if in intersect waiting till the source is out is likely the best option and if in unreal then I believe there are already guides on encrypting the game files. 

I meant with the intersect engine. I stopped using Unreal after sometime of trying to learn how to use it.