Favorite linux distro

Oddly

So, i've completely removed Windows recently as I know longer really need and thought i'd shared the new distro i'm using. It's entirely based off of arch, the installer let's you choose between 5 large desktop environments, I myself use KDE Plasma. You can choose to include the AUR (Arch User Repository).
The distro is antergos, and it's heavenly.
https://antergos.com/

I myself prefer bare Arch to Antergos or Manjaro, but the last time I was installing Linux I had a graphics driver issue that completely blocked me from using any graphical interface for any Linux distro, so I never managed to install and try them out.

CentOS and Fedora are also pretty nice (the latter being effectively the beta for the former and branded RedHat). I'm currently running Ubuntu on my gaming rig, and really only because I want better game support. Going to use my second machine to prototype Arch customizations to get a look and feel that i want.

Oh, also, at the moment I'm a Gnome fan. KDE has yet to get me to give it a moment's notice, and at least with the people I know has a less-than-positive reputation.

Are you using pacaur or yaourt, and do you have any intention of playing games on your machine? Also, pics of your interface please? :P 

6 hours ago, ClownPrince said:

Well,what's the best newbie linux distro?

Ubuntu is probably the best one to start on. It has a very good amount of documentation and support. Not to mention, it comes pre-installed with a very easy to use graphical shell. (I think It's called Unity).

I prefer Arch for general usage, development, customisation, etc. I find Debian or Ubuntu server to be best for hosting servers.

14 hours ago, MiniGrief said:

Ubuntu is probably the best one to start on. It has a very good amount of documentation and support. Not to mention, it comes pre-installed with a very easy to use graphical shell. (I think It's called Unity).

I prefer Arch for general usage, development, customisation, etc. I find Debian or Ubuntu server to be best for hosting servers.

Yeah, but Unity is going out of service. Ubuntu is going back to Gnome with the next release. So you would "learn" a dying desktop enviroment, and with next release everything would look different. Not so nice.

I would recommend Mint Linux for a newb. Both MATE and Cinnamon desktops are solid choices, while i would prefer MATE. Im just not about that eyecandy.

I recently thought about completely switching to linux. I wanted to install Windows in a VM and give it access to my graphicscard via VT-d, so i could play games in the VM with minimal performance loss (like 2-3%). Turns out my i5 2500k does not support VT-d :(

So, back to topic: My favorite Linux distro is Debian. I use it for all my personal servers, and it just works. When i need a Desktop i pretty much always choose Xfce, sinnce i like the frills approach.

6 hours ago, eins said:

Yeah, but Unity is going out of service. Ubuntu is going back to Gnome with the next release. So you would "learn" a dying desktop enviroment, and with next release everything would look different. Not so nice.

I would recommend Mint Linux for a newb. Both MATE and Cinnamon desktops are solid choices, while i would prefer MATE. Im just not about that eyecandy.

I recently thought about completely switching to linux. I wanted to install Windows in a VM and give it access to my graphicscard via VT-d, so i could play games in the VM with minimal performance loss (like 2-3%). Turns out my i5 2500k does not support VT-d :(

So, back to topic: My favorite Linux distro is Debian. I use it for all my personal servers, and it just works. When i need a Desktop i pretty much always choose Xfce, sinnce i like the frills approach.

Or just use the Ubuntu Gnome distro since it's going to become the main release stream (what I'm doing).

Debian is probably my favorite, but like a lot of the comments from others say, I'm relatively comfortable in the platform and you might want to be before trying it - Ubuntu is good for newbies because you can find a ton of documentation on it, as others have said.