Mapping like a boss

Avt

Question

7 answers to this question

You can watch tutorials on youtube or search some RPGMaker Maps images to get inspired. You can also try to make the map less "square", make some "curves" in the roads, and add some details like flowers, stones and more varieties of plants. like the exemple below. Good luck ^^

ramp_test_by_golfhacker-d8v4v7n.png

This image is not mine, all credits to the author.

It's not inherently bad, just really simple. It lacks sufficient detail given how big of a space it is, and is also a little too square (mostly referring to the roads).

The water is in between being ok with no additional detail, and not having enough detail (i.e. some rocks or something, even more plants would improve it).

Also the garden is too full of the same thing. You don't have to change the type of plant, but maybe add a dirt path to add some visual diversity?

The bottom right corner of the map has too much clustered detail, without enough detail overall, and the bottom left corner has not enough detail but it's also too spread out. Basically the bottom corners represent the two opposite ends of how there can be not enough detail.

Just now, SPQR Panda said:

It's not inherently bad, just really simple. It lacks sufficient detail given how big of a space it is, and is also a little too square (mostly referring to the roads).

The water is in between being ok with no additional detail, and not having enough detail (i.e. some rocks or something, even more plants would improve it).

Also the garden is too full of the same thing. You don't have to change the type of plant, but maybe add a dirt path to add some visual diversity?

The bottom right corner of the map has too much clustered detail, without enough detail overall, and the bottom left corner has not enough detail but it's also too spread out. Basically the bottom corners represent the two opposite ends of how there can be not enough detail.

How do you recommend I handle the roads and the bottom corners? remove stuff from the right corner and move things closer in the left one? I'll make an updated one and post here here too.

Just now, Avt said:

How do you recommend I handle the roads and the bottom corners? remove stuff from the right corner and move things closer in the left one? I'll make an updated one and post here here too.

Both bottom corners just need more stuff in them. Detail is hard, but more detail is what they need.

Roads should turn a little, and perhaps not meet up so perfectly dead center in the map.

It looks very basic. Maybe add a few mountains and a little bit more detail and it should be good. Some areas look to "square-like" also. So maybe randomise it a little. Just for ease on the users eyes :D Apart from that, keep it up.

I think Kyrise's looks really good and natural. Good tree variance and placement as well as the foliage. it's not overdone and that's what I like about it. Definitely a good example.

Edit: I also remember always putting signs on my shops/structures to denote them. I think it works more in your favor if you can simply flavor the structure and its surroundings to let it speak for itself.