Conditional item/spell usage

nippe

Question

Item requirements
In the engine's current state, items aren't very flexible. Say I have multiple classes whom I want to be able to wield swords but a couple of others who shouldn't be.
Currently I have two options:
1. Either I duplicate the item for each class and change the class requirement. (Not acceptable).
2. Or I could set a stat requirement that only certain classes can achieve. (Not desireable and not truly restricting).

Resource progression
What if I don't want the cheapest pickaxe to be able to mine the best resource in game? Currently there is no way of preventing this.
Or if I want my resource nodes to require "Mining skill". Fully using events instead of resources is a workaround, but what's the purpose of resources then?

Spell requirements
Spells could be greatly enhanced too. What if I want a "Shield Bash" spell to only be useable while a shield is equipped? Or a "Last Stand" spell while the caster's HP is low.

Possible solution
Running events could easily solve all of the issues above. Condition branch checking like the event system offers would definitely give more depth to items and spells.
Items could check for multiple classes, player flags (CanWearSword=true) or even skill requirements using player variables (MiningSkill=10).
Spell casts would work the same way (If Shield is equipped) or (If HP < 50%) etc.

I know that all of this can be added through coding once the source is released. But it feels like a useful feature, not just for me, but for every developer using the Intersect engine.

Is this something that is planned/considered? Or will every developer have to make their own system once the source is released?

6 answers to this question

The original post from @nippe  should require some form work and a few logic changes which ill try to get around to for 3.0. A full fledged UI based system for leveling resource proficiencies will not happen in Intersect. We have said no against this a long time ago but its probably buried somewhere. There are too many variables that force a fantasy orpg style game with this in the base client or its completely redundant in a space/futuristic styled game without renaming resource types assuming they want the system at all. Either way it will be released as a source tutorial by someone.

5 hours ago, raeven said:

I feel this would be pretty used so it could have it's place in the main engine. Maybe also a full profession system where you level up your gathering/production profession?

While it sounds decent, extra stuff like this will most likely be available from other people who made their own changes to the source once it's available. I do however agree with most of your first post.

56 minutes ago, SCTrav said:

While it sounds decent, extra stuff like this will most likely be available from other people who made their own changes to the source once it's available. I do however agree with most of your first post.

Yeah, but they always said they will implement only basic things every MMO should have, we'll see what they think about these ones. Besides, if it's too much work I'd rather have then not prioritize this >.<