Isolate projectile from animation

Seshy

Question

Has anybody found a way to create a projectile but have it independent of an animation?

I.e.:

1. cast spell

2. animation plays

3. invisible projectile is released and has no animation

I really am looking for a way to make an animation be played when casting a projectile... but I don't want the animation of the projectile to move.

3 answers to this question

I haven't test those option but that seems to be doable with only the vanilla editor configuration. 

Spoiler

97eb3d05dbdf2794eaa5c5037d4efa54.png

f91b533d2fe44ca66cedd225d4d617cd.png

Just don't put animation in the projectile then link it to the spell. Thinking about it, if that work, then it's probably the easiest way to make linear spell like kamehameha and stuff.

14 hours ago, Seshy said:

Has anybody found a way to create a projectile but have it independent of an animation?

I.e.:

1. cast spell

2. animation plays

3. invisible projectile is released and has no animation

I really am looking for a way to make an animation be played when casting a projectile... but I don't want the animation of the projectile to move.

Casting animations are your best bet. I've made dozens, if not hundreds, of spells that use invisible projectiles and a fake overlay graphic, just be sure to note the range in tiles of your spell and adjust your art accordingly.

I made a mistake in my wording. Instead of "animation be played when casting a projectile", I should have said "after casting a projectile".

My plan is to already have a casting animation of the character. Afterwards, a bolt of lightning is projected from the character in a line (but I need the lightning to stay still as it progresses through its animation). If a target is in its path, it will be hit by the invisible projectile.

I can do this with casting animations, but my cast time will be about 3 seconds, therefore the lightning animation would need a lot of blank space at the beginning (about 2 seconds worth) whilst the actual lightning animation will be 1 second long... the projectile will then instantly be released after that 1 second.

I hope that makes sense... does that seem like a decent approach? It seems like a "hackey" solution but I think the only available.