Jump to content
  • 0

Rollbacks while using editor.


WereAlpaca
 Share

Question

I have had this issue on my personal game while using intersect, but I am running into this issue with Nightmare right now.
Does anyone else experience rollbacks when editing anything? Maps, item editor, etc.
I was hoping someone has experienced this before and it's as simple as admin privileges or default Microsoft security.
I can try and replicate the problem on a clean intersect client/editor if it's not immediately ringing a bell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 2

Okay, game data is unrelated to any known issues I'm aware of..

 

Interesting, unfortunately I'd want to know what the server says if this happens.. and does it happen every time or just sometimes?

 

I'm also curious if you're doing this on a server where there's a lot of global variables being changed constantly or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1

Yeah, as far as we are aware it's related to using the same account on both the editor and the client.

Causes some funny business.. FOR PLAYER DATA on the account that is in the editor and client at the same time.

 

Is this what is happening or some other form of rollback? Can't quite make the exact extent of the rollback out from your post.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1

If you're able to reproduce it on a fresh build and can get it fairly consistently reproducible that'd be amazing.

 

I've managed to find an issue with saving quest tasks recently. There's a possibility there's some more problems somewhere.

 

The reason I'm asking about global variables is that they're stored and saved through the same database context as items, maps etc. I'm thinking that might interfere with eachother if it happens at the same time on different threads seeing how sqlite doesn't like doing two things at once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1

Possibly, only on the gamedata database though. The player one already runs MySQL and has a different saving mechanism if I recall.

 

If this is reproducible by anyone it'd be interesting to look in to. It's definitely not supposed to do this.

 

I'm leaning towards an issue with saving multiple objects in quick succession (the editor sends the changed objects one by one) being an issue rather than a rollback though.

 

I remember Leafling had a similar issue at some point where all maps wouldn't save what folders they were placed in to after a reboot but I'm pretty sure that particular fix was ported alongside the rest.. and only really pertained to map folders. Everything else saved just fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, CosakiGames said:

I've seen this being said before, and I believe it has to do with running a client with admin powers while running the editor.

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Edit:
This did not solve the issue, I will wait to see if anyone else has ran into this, then try to replicate on a fresh install.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 minutes ago, Cheshire said:

Yeah, as far as we are aware it's related to using the same account on both the editor and the client.

Causes some funny business.. FOR PLAYER DATA on the account that is in the editor and client at the same time.

 

Is this what is happening or some other form of rollback? Can't quite make the exact extent of the rollback out from your post.

 

 

I can explain it very clearly, interesting that it may be relevant to using one account for editing and playing.

The process:
 - Make 15 new items
 - Put them into a folder
 - Rename them into what they're supposed to be
 - Save, and close down the editor
Result:
Edit - re-open the editor and check the item editor
 - All the new items are now outside the folder and not named
 - There is one remaining item that saved, haven't confirmed if it's the item I had selected when I saved or if it's random


What I think: If I could save without the editor closing then I could individually save each item and not run into this issue. Although I could be totally wrong from a technical standpoint.

Edit: Could be an issue with saving and not necessarily rollbacks now that I think it through

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 minutes ago, Cheshire said:

Okay, editor stuff is unrelated to any known issues.

 

Interesting, unfortunately I'd want to know what the server says if this happens.. and does it happen every time or just sometimes?

 

I'm also curious if you're doing this on a server where there's a lot of global variables being changed constantly or not.

Kibbelz plans to make a test server where he can view what's causing this issue (test server is for many other reasons as well), I was hopping on AGD in hopes that someone had this same issue and it was an easy fix.
I just tested and it saved properly for my first batch of edits, then I rebooted to make changes again, rebooted and the changes were reversed.
The game I work on is Nightmare, it's pretty big at this point so I imagine there are many global variables being changed. I can't confirm this (because I'm mostly an artist) but I'm fairly certain that would be the case.

Do you think it's a good plan to try and recreate this issue with a fresh install? I can do that in a day or two to see if it's my PC having issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, Cheshire said:

If you're able to reproduce it on a fresh build and can get it fairly consistently reproducible that'd be amazing.

 

I've managed to find an issue with saving quest tasks recently. There's a possibility there's some more problems somewhere.

 

The reason I'm asking about global variables is that they're stored and saved through the same database context as items, maps etc. I'm thinking that might interfere with eachother if it happens at the same time on different threads seeing how sqlite doesn't like doing two things at once.

I'll give it a shot

Saving possibly has some issues universally?

I don't know much about sqlite but I can see how that could factor into this issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Cheshire said:

Possibly, only on the gamedata database though. The player one already runs MySQL and has a different saving mechanism if I recall.

 

If this is reproducible by anyone it'd be interesting to look in to. It's definitely not supposed to do this.

 

I'm leaning towards an issue with saving multiple objects in quick succession (the editor sends the changed objects one by one) being an issue rather than a rollback though.

 

I remember Leafling had a similar issue at some point where all maps wouldn't save what folders they were placed in to after a reboot but I'm pretty sure that particular fix was ported alongside the rest.. and only really pertained to map folders. Everything else saved just fine.

I believe we had issues with maps saving as well, not sure what the fix or cause was, could have been tandem with Leafling though - I remember both teams struggling with it at the same time.

If I can I'll change the title to a saving issue.

Thanks for all your answers!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...