16by16

WereAlpaca

Question

Is there planned support for 16x16 tiles? This includes support of actors/autmapping/animations etc. If not, how feasible is this after release?

Edit: I realized this is already possible by simply doubling the size of all sprites (facepalm) anyways thanks anyways haha

11 answers to this question

I don't understand the question or the answer.  I know that you can change the tile size in the Server config.  I changed mine to 48 x 48.  In doing so, I also had to resize my sprites and other images (i.e. Misc) so that they were 150% bigger.  And it works.  In theory, could I not go to the Server config and make the tiles 16 x 16 and then resize all the images to be 50% smaller?  Then finally, I don't understand the answer.  If you are attempting to make tiles SMALLER, why would the solution then be to make the images BIGGER?  I do know that image size will effect where your sprite is in a tile.  If you have a 32 px wide sprite in a 48 x 48 tile, the 32 px wide sprite will appear on the left half of the tile square.  To center the sprite, you would need to make it 48 px wide.  And if you made the sprite wider than 48 px, it would expand on both sides of the 32 x 32 tile.  So when you said that you kept your tiles at 32 x 32 and made your sprites 64 px wide, that makes me think that you just have bigger sprites that occupy a little additional space on either side of the 32 x 32 tile.  How does this mimic 16 x 16 tiles?  I don't get it.

18 minutes ago, Kasplant said:

Now I realize what you meant! 

I'm pretty sure there is no planned support for 16x16 tiles.

Best would be to double your sprite/tile size because changing all the logic in the engine to fit 16x16 tiles isn't so easy as you might think.

Ya I figured it would be integrated deeply. I just decided to resize. The bottom of my sprite actually fits in 32x32 while it goes up x16 so I may not even have to adjust the hitbox. Reason being: it just shows the selection box on the bottom two thirds of my sprite. The sprite actually matches nicely with up against walls. Only concern is whether or not the top half of the body not being hit by projectiles affects the gameplay. For now it works wonder, but I'll likely have to adjust the hitbox to be pixel specific anyyyyyywaaaayyyys, because I'd like accurate handling of projectiles - kind of going for an action rpg style. When it comes to pixel movement it will actually be nicer with the doubled sprites - will appear as if the player has twice as much control :D pretty stoked. Think it will work out in the long run.

Edit: My sprites are actually about 16x24 and resized to 32x48 to match the game. They occupy more space than the normal sprites, they're just sprited with a taller ratio but in less pixels. I didn't know I could change this option in server config so I'll try it now.

7 minutes ago, gaveitatry said:

I don't understand the question or the answer.  I know that you can change the tile size in the Server config.  I changed mine to 48 x 48.  In doing so, I also had to resize my sprites and other images (i.e. Misc) so that they were 150% bigger.  And it works.  In theory, could I not go to the Server config and make it 16 x 16 and then resize all the images to be 50% smaller?  Then finally, I don't understand the answer.  If you are attempting to make tiles SMALLER, why would the solution then be to make the images BIGGER?  I do know that image size will effect where your sprite is in a tile.  If you have a 32 px wide sprite in a 48 x 48 tile, the 32 px wide sprite will appear on the left half of the tile square.  To center the sprite, you would need to make it 48 px wide.  And if you made the sprite wider than 48 px, it would expand on both sides of the tile.  So when you said that you kept your tiles at 32 x 32 and made your sprites 64 px wide, that makes me think that you just have bigger sprites that occupy a little additional space on either side of the 32 x 32 tile.  How does this mimic 16 x 16 tiles?  I don't get it.

If they integrated changing tile sizes in the server, then it should be no big deal. I wasn't aware of that function. 

Yep! It's totally integrated. Just auto tile features are broken and it doesn't adjust zoom so everything is very tiny :P I will be going with resized tiles for now, but once it's open source where I can change these things - or it gets better support on open source release - I will switch over to x16. Cool stuff!

Okay, good luck.  I hope that it works for you.  I never tried making the tiles smaller.  I was making them bigger.  On a side note, the default sprite images in Intersect are actually 32 x 48, I believe.  But your sprites are probably still bigger because the default sprites have some transparent pixels on top and bottom and sides of that 32 x 48 frame.  Anyway, it must have sucked to double the size of your sprites because then you lose a bit of picture quality.  Show us a screenshot of your 16 x 16 game when you get finished setting up the config.  Don't forget to resize images in the Misc folder to 50% of original size.

13 minutes ago, gaveitatry said:

Okay, good luck.  I hope that it works for you.  I never tried making the tiles smaller.  I was making them bigger.  On a side note, the default sprite images in Intersect are actually 32 x 48, I believe.  But your sprites are probably still bigger because the default sprites have some transparent pixels on top and bottom and sides of that 32 x 48 frame.  Anyway, it must have sucked to double the size of your sprites because then you lose a bit of picture quality.  Show us a screenshot of your 16 x 16 game when you get finished setting up the config.  Don't forget to resize images in the Misc folder to 50% of original size.

Finished setting up!
http://picpaste.com/das-C9QgxIv0.png
have a peak :D NOTE: Tiles are temporary and just for testing :) very early and actually not 100% mine.

10 minutes ago, gaveitatry said:

That is 32 x 32 tiles with enlarged tileset images, right? Looks good.

Yep! and thanks man. Once I start adding more tiles and fleshing out the current tiles - it'll come together nicely I believe :D

On 7/12/2016 at 6:36 AM, WereAlpaca said:

Yep! It's totally integrated. Just auto tile features are broken.

Autotiles in 1.5 should be fixed now. I know that autotiles for my 48 x 48 pixel tiles are working perfectly, so maybe they will work for your 16 x 16 pixel tiles if you still want to use them.