Combo Problems, Are Common Event able to Self Switch ?

Beast Boyz

Question

Hello ! 

I've been trying doing an easy spell combo system

I know some way of doing it and was trying this one :

Init Combo -> Combo 1 -> Combo 2 -> Init Combo/Nothing

Var combo  0 or 3  ->   Var combo  1 - -> Var combo  2 -> 0

To launch Init combo you needed var combo 0 

For combo 1 you need var combo 1

For combo 2 you need var combo 2

Simple.

the thing is : to make the combo counting up, i treat the spell as an event wich trigger the common event Combo.

I've been trying to do it on one event page only (I know i can also use one common event for each spell, but i was trying to save place and gain clarity) 

And !  I wanted the var count to go back to 0 if you don't use the combo in the next 5 seconds.

So it looked something like that, alas i didn't work as intended and i was never able to use the Combo 2 spell

.d15a9ced467fa48e3fec7ab3d68abdee.png 

So, i've tried using Self Switch :

2f64bde84bad042d6b18086826b869ac.png

Absolutely doesn't work at all. it seems that common event cannot self switch ? As far as i know i've seen that "Global" Npc cannot use the set route event (Another story)

Finally my last test seems to be the good one :

bb977dc1d117eba18559a8ece27c1b27.png

So far it seems to be working.

One regret, when using the "Event" Type option, the spell tooltips doesn't state about the dmg output, the range, conditions, etc...

So my main questions are :

- Are common event able to self switch ?

- Is there another way to make combo like this ? (I know i can also use a simple counter wich go up when using spell and make some spell use it, like rogue on wow. Or use several common event : one for each combo)

- Is there a list of these kind of limitation  ? (Like set route for global event not working)

- Is there a way to get a tooltips beside descripting everything in desc windows ?

Thanks by advance is someone know something !

5 answers to this question

I've noticed that Set Global Variabel seems to exit out from running common events, not sure if that's similar to your case or might help if there is any limitation that we do not know about.

Below is part of my Firestarter skill where characters can start a Fireplace, depending on their Firestarter lvl the chance for starting the fire becomes higher.

When the Fireplace has been lit, it'll be accessible for other players for 3 minutes until it has to be lit again.

Event placed on map

8bc14f307f6dbde5258669ff2f167db7.png

Common event 1 run by the first event

c021172ecf9cda4182e8fa7c782df937.png

Common event 2 run by common event 1 if character failed to light the fire

543135eb2208c85f512423d9b8c72549.png

Then is common event 1 run again due to character failing to light the fire

c021172ecf9cda4182e8fa7c782df937.png

Common event 3 run by common event 1 <Where I noticed set global event seems to exit the common event by unknown cause> which is why it is put in the end.

3d287a178945e575d3951d6a2cf3baa0.png

Hey @Beast Boyz I want to help you with that. But I was a little confused on how exactly this combo will work. Could you give more details?

So far, the only thing I can recommend is not to use event conditions in "Spawn / Execution Conditions" For something you want to "turn on" and then "turn off", in this case set it to one value and then to another, because the moment the conditions do not fit, the event will stop running immediately, regardless of how many lines there are after the conditions no longer fit.

It would be best to use an unconditional event that has conditional branches, where you can make the value change within the conditional branch so that it will still continue executing the lines even if the conditions do not match.

If you can explain a little more, or show a video of what you are trying to do, I can try to reproduce it here and try to help in a better way. On the other hand, when I arrive from work at 8 pm, (gmt -3), I can try to reproduce it as it is and see if I come to a solution.