I think a lot of basic things is missing

Vhaeriel

Question

Hi,
I would only like to share my feelings about the current tool

I find that a lot of essential elements are currently missing from the engine

Some can be surpassed with a little ingenuity, others its just impractical without modification of the sources (which is not within everyone's reach)

I will try to list here what most frustrated me during the development of my game.

• - No ladder system, however in the basic tileset, there are ladder, so why not have put this type of tile?
  • - I really don't understand the presence of the "Slide" type, when I think that the ladder are more important.

In the events, there is a lot missing from the list

• In "Dialogue"
  • In add text to chat, there should also be the admin channel
  • In the "Logic Flow" list, there should be the possibility to create a loop.
  • In "Player Control", I think we should add a "Change state" as for example, to define the state of the player as stunned, invulnerable etc.
  • There should also be a way to cast a spell on the player (such as applying a buff)

• - In the execution conditions, for the type of condition, I think that in level or stat, you should add HP and MP
  • - In the edition of the spells, I do not understand the interest of choosing the type of target for the type of spell "event", because the event will always be played for the launcher and not for the target
  • I also think it would be extremely interesting to ensure that if the type of target chosen is other than himself, the event MUST be played on these people, not on the caster.
  • There is missing (I think) a place where to define the noise of the steps of the players

I hope I could help by giving my feelings on the current condition of the engine, especially did not see it as bad!
I know the engine is still in beta, and that's why I offer all these ideas.

Maybe I am wrong in some and it is possible to do it, in this case let me know!

I really like this engine, I hope it will go far! :)

Cordially.

PS: Sorry for the bad english, it's google trad ..

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Vhaeriel said:

No ladder system, however in the basic tileset, there are ladder, so why not have put this type of tile?

That really sounds like a specific feature for you. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone mention ladder tiles outside of the platformer engine, whereas the slide tiles were made for puzzles and such.

In add text to chat, there should also be the admin channel

There is no admin channel to begin with as far as I'm aware? And I'm not sure what or why you're trying to achieve with this. You can't always have an admin online, and the events won't wait for an admin to be online.

In the "Logic Flow" list, there should be the possibility to create a loop.

Technically already possible with labels or variables and common events.

There should also be a way to cast a spell on the player (such as applying a buff)

I also think it would be extremely interesting to ensure that if the type of target chosen is other than himself, the event MUST be played on these people, not on the caster.

Those sound like they belong on the GitHub issues section as feature requests.

Please note that no engine will ever support everything you want out of the box. They're generic templates for you to base your work on. Sometimes that means you'll have to change things to suit your game, or change your game to suit the engine.

Not to mention, it's open source. So what's stopping you from trying to change it yourself?