Jerky movement

Jumbofile

Question

Here is where im at currently

What is happening currently, is im trying to have a condition where the player would move 2 down and 1 over. Im not sure where the engine handles this or if the server is over-correcting for the movement but any insight would help. I can provide code examples if needed.

Here is some code

Client Player.cs

if (IsTileBlocked(X + 1, Y + 2, Z, CurrentMap, ref blockedBy) == -1)
                                    {
                                        tmpY += 2;
                                        tmpX++;
                                        IsMoving = true;
                                        Dir = 7;
                                        OffsetY = -(Options.TileHeight * 2);
                                        OffsetX = -Options.TileWidth;
                                        OffsetX = 0;
                                        FallDir = 7;
                                    }

Client entity.cs

case 6: //SW
                        if(Globals.Me.FallCount > 2)
                        {
                            OffsetY += deplacementTime;
                        }
                        else
                        {
                        }

OffsetX -= deplacementTime;

if (OffsetY > 0)
                            OffsetY = 0;
                        if (OffsetX < 0)
                            OffsetX = 0;

break;

Please dont comment on code quality (unless there is a glaring issue), I want to get it working first and then ill clean up.

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Jumbofile said:

How it works is every time the engine tries to update the position of the player/checks if they are grounded it adds one to the fall count. When i divide offsetY by 2 the player falls way too slow. Im not really sure what these offsets do tbh. Ill try to mess with offsetX because that could be the issue.

I think Offset are related to the fluidity of screen movement. To have a smooth fall you would probably need to play with these. So I suppose (like you did) if the player fall two tiles down and one tile right, OffsetY should be two times inferior (or superior) to OffsetX.

Maybe you could try tmpY += 1 and tmpX += 0.5? Like that for one deplacement the player will move just by one tile max and x value would be always at the right place.

Actually it's hard to figure out what FallCount is, but maybe you should try to divide the OffsetY by 2 when FallCount is greater than 2 instead of multiplying it by 2.

Moreoever, I don't know if it's related but actually the OffsetX value is always 0 in the code sample you have shared.

Put a dress of the fella and he's just floating down like Princess Peach. Perfect! I think you're doing great with the code btw! I'm no help but I'm 100% sure you will get it fixed! <3

4 hours ago, Shenmue said:

Actually it's hard to figure out what FallCount is, but maybe you should try to divide the OffsetY by 2 when FallCount is greater than 2 instead of multiplying it by 2.

Moreoever, I don't know if it's related but actually the OffsetX value is always 0 in the code sample you have shared.

How it works is every time the engine tries to update the position of the player/checks if they are grounded it adds one to the fall count. When i divide offsetY by 2 the player falls way too slow. Im not really sure what these offsets do tbh. Ill try to mess with offsetX because that could be the issue.