Concept Concept of a 2D lateral-ish DBZ game

Alatar

Heyo! Its been a while. From the title i want to clarify that I know there are a ton of DBZ games around and some of you are probably tired of them, but hear me out :23_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Back in the days of Eclipse I made a concept of a sort of 2D "platformer-ish" dragon ball game called "Dragon Ball Tau" that was based around using LSW sprites (i love that artstyle).

I managed to save two gifs from back then (they are from 2010 so at least 10 years ago lol):

Spoiler

d3f5ec38a064a52cd4daf98320164865.gif

Spoiler

3fcecffe9678f0bfabc2628118089715.gif

As you can see It wasnt truly a platform game because it lacked gravity and physics and it was just a matter of perspective (using sprites/tiles in a lateral way and a background image). But that game stayed with me all these years as a cool 'what-if' project to make one day.

I think now is the day.

Now that the source is out i've been playing a bit with the engine and im really liking it. I needed the source for this game mostly because i need to make a some sort of system of directions (4-directions is not enough, i need at least 6 with up-left, up-right, right, left, down-left, down-right) and probably a ton of sprites for airborn and grounded stances, so i was waiting for it to be released before starting heavily on this project. Now that it is out im having a bit of fun with it and im liking the capabilities Intersect offers from the ground up, amazing work there devs.

Ive done this in a bit of spare time between yesterday and today, testing around graphics and animation/projectiles and also graphic tilesets:

Spoiler

Wanted to share in case any of you is interested, and wanted to give some feedback ♥

Have a great day!

1 minute ago, Alatar said:

Currently nothing, my idea is to have two sets of sprites (one for ground-based movement and one for air-based movement).

I thought of the same, on the server, config, there is a file that you can put the name of the images in the entities folder, and the image is constantly moving.

I also thought that for the sprite exchange there could be a series of events that would maintain this sprite exchange.
For example.
Events that if the player touches, changes the sprite to flying.
https://prnt.sc/rvo7xa

Events that if the player touches, changes the sprite to stopped.
https://prnt.sc/rvo8jw

Then, these events being played, would turn a variable on or off and execute a common event that would make this maintenance. (To avoid manually editing each event, if you need 1 event to change.)

I think that way it would be a way to work, but I can't say. I was excited by your idea why it’s out of the box, and also why I like games like that, I never imagined one being done with the intersect, in this case this is the first one I see.

Thanks for the input! I still have to check the engine extensively but yes, i think events could handle the sprite swap. Either that or another tile attribute but i have to look into the source too for that. I also have to take into account the possibility of having more elements on the ground level (resources, items, random stuff) so an event/attribute shouldnt interfere with those.

14 minutes ago, Weylon Santana said:

I thought of the same, on the server, config, there is a file that you can put the name of the images in the entities folder, and the image is constantly moving.

Didn't know about that xD, thanks

4 minutes ago, Alatar said:

Thanks for the input! I still have to check the engine extensively but yes, i think events could handle the sprite swap. Either that or another tile attribute but i have to look into the source too for that. I also have to take into account the possibility of having more elements on the ground level (resources, items, random stuff) so an event/attribute shouldnt interfere with those.

Didn't knew about that xD, thanks

It's more or less like this in the config (these names are from my game), so they won't be stuck in the air.

Spoiler

"BlockClientRegistrations": false,
  "AnimatedSprites": [
    "(animals) 005.png",
    "(m1) 001.png",
    "(m1) 002.png",
    "(m1) 005.png",
    "(m1) 006.png",
    "(m1) 007.png",
    "(m1) 008.png",
    "(m2) 003.png"
  ],

I will follow this topic and follow closely, because I like ideas that are out of the box.