Need help w/ fonts.

Lyim

Question

Hello all,

So after making myself look like a fool last night I realized there was a tutorial for fonts, now that I have followed through all of the steps, I understand how the MonoGame Pipeline tool works and what I need to do in order to change the actual font but Im not quite sure how I import my own fonts.

Tutorial I am following (by JC):

I see in this picture below that you can easily change the name of the font but what if I want to bring in a custom font I found online?
a98d6752cfcd8a7e8c12fe7ba68dd4d0.png

Surely I need to import it inside of the MonoGame tool before I can just change that, or am I missing something?

14 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

Just install it into Windows. That's where the pipeline grabs from.

Didn't think it would be that easy! Thanks for the quick reply. Will I need to change the file names from: sourcesanspro_8.spritefont to whatever the new font is or do I still need to keep it as it is. @jcsnider

UPDATE:

So I changed the name and I am being told that the font file does not exist, I'm assuming I just had a space or something wrong. Is there a place I can go to see the exact font file name?

Edited by Mapyo
Made progress.

1 hour ago, Atsuya said:

move the font file in the pipeline monogame folder.

Like the font installation file, and where in the folder?

I see:

bin

fonts

obj

shaders

source fonts

18 minutes ago, jcsnider said:

If you double click the fonts it should show you the font name:

1f1e04dc1a15c74e68fe51fba73d3470.png

I think that's what you want.

Yeah I've tried that one and then the name of the font in the part above where you have it selected

6 minutes ago, Atsuya said:

Try in the render folder, i had the same problem and i clear it with copy the font file in the monogame folder but cant remember which, maybe the one where the rendering font are.

I don't think that's how it works, @jcsnider said that it pulled the fonts straight from windows. There must be something I'm doing wrong.

I think I have been working on this for way too long.

Off and on for the last few hours. If anyone has any helpful clues or answers it would be much appreciated.

Update:

A random font like Verdana works, there must be something wrong with my font

Update 2:

It looks like it will only work on certain fonts and randomly too, for example "Webdings" will work but not something like "Calibri"

I'm in the monogame discord for help too.

Update 3: 

People at the monogame discord are completley confused as to why its not working too, things like arial work fine.

11 hours ago, Mapyo said:

YESSSSS I GOT IT TO WOOOORK!!!!

42d6e402a29f10ef924695a184df2cef.png

Now time to rescale them as nesessary....

I would have loved to tell you the struggle ended there but it doesnt...

So I am happy the fonts now work, the problem is getting them to work.

Changing the font size in the .spritefont file inside monogame does nothing :(

<!--
    Size is a float value, measured in points. Modify this value to change
    the size of the font.
    -->
    <Size>10</Size>

Where abouts could I change the font sizes for the text and UI. I pretty much need everything up a font size or two.

Honestly, there's really something wrong with this rendering system. Yesterday I spent at least two and a half hours trying to render the fonts properly. You have to put the .ttf in the same folder as the .spritefont file. However, for me, it wouldn't render the correct font half the time, and completely ignored size rendering. Extremely frustrating and something is quite off about the system. I tested 5 different fonts. I wish I could give more assistance than sharing my terrible experience, but I honestly gave up. I moved on to a different work-stream and will assess this at a later time instead of splitting hairs.